E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Does anyone know what goes In this hole in the door? It’s a 2000 328ci. I’ve been looking but can’t find any info, the drivers side has a different sized rubbery plastic thing that goes in instead. Any help would be great! Thanks!

· Registered
2002 325xi
1,660 Posts
Also, from the scratch marks on the quarter panel, it looks like your door's rear edge is actually touching the body as it opens and closes - a likely indicator of serious body repair that may be associated with that hole. Which I agree is not factory. Show us the other side?

· Registered
330ci Coupe 6MT
1,934 Posts
Looks like a holesaw was used, but why? Maybe some kind of rust proofing?
Looks more like a rust generator!

OP, whatever the hole was made for, I'd rust treat and paint the exposed steel from where they've drilled. I'd then find a rubber blanking plug the right diameter and press that in, maybe with some silicone sealant. But you defo want to paint that exposed steel

· Premium Member
2003 325i Touring
5,428 Posts
Another vote for pointless dent repair access, here. Those guys are usually better about touching up and plugging their holes, unless it was just a car lot quickie. My touring has a plug on the right side rear quarter in the door jamb, but not on the left.

· Premium Member
2002 325xiT 5MT
951 Posts
In order to rust proof the inside of the rear quarter, would you have to drill a hole? Or is there a plug inside the wheel well that you could pull? Rust proofing wands could use any hole into a cavity, PDR would need a hole in the right spot.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

heres the inside of it
Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Wheel

and here’s the drivers side, this side has some rust forming already 😢 so I’ll have to figure out a way to rustproof the inside of the area and touch up the paint that was rusted.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, from the scratch marks on the quarter panel, it looks like your door's rear edge is actually touching the body as it opens and closes - a likely indicator of serious body repair that may be associated with that hole. Which I agree is not factory. Show us the other side?
The scratching was caused by a door guard that was on from a previous owner. So I’m not too sure if the damage was that bad, I don’t have any contact from the door into the body anymore.

· Registered
2005 330ci
627 Posts
is it rusting at the hole that was drilled or somewhere else? I use Fluid Film in my rockers on my truck, as it’s common for dirt to build up and rust there. You can get them with extensions to reach long places.

View attachment 966661
heres the inside of it
View attachment 966662
and here’s the drivers side, this side has some rust forming already 😢 so I’ll have to figure out a way to rustproof the inside of the area and touch up the paint that was rusted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts