E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am doing a auto to manual swap on my 2004 330xi. last week I found a salvage yard that had the exact year and make as my car, but with a 6mt. Today I finished taking off the transmission on the salvage car, I took everything I needed besides the flywheel because it rocked back and forth.

Let me explain, if I was looking at the DMF when it was attached to the car, grabbed it at 9 and 3, I was able to push in in and out on both sides. The pressure plate and clutch that I took off almost looked new, but I don't know if the flywheel should be able to do what it did.

I have found no information if a dual mass flywheel should be able to be rocked back and forth. This might be an absolute no brainer of a question to some, but I feel dumb right now :banghead:

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
I've never tried to rock one back and forth.

Usually, you rotate it, and see how much free play it has. Luk has specs for how many
degrees- I forget, but it was quite a bit.

As to clutch wear, there are guide pins that stick out of the pressure plate.
They have something like 4mm between the step at the end and the plate itself
when everything's new, and then tighten to no travel when the clutch is done. There's
at least 1/3 of the friction material left, but the pins are limiting travel, so the clutch slips.

Given the absolute booger it is to get the transmission out of an xi, I'd just buy new and not worry about it.
In fact, that's what I did! The DMF that came out was in pretty good shape- so it'll go into
a non- xi car eventually.

t

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The DMF had probably 2-3 teeth worth of play. Ive heard people online say that is a good spec to have and others say this is a bad spec.

I'm on a budget, hence why I took all the parts myself from a salvage yard, and I can, but don't to drop $300+ on an oem DMF.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,707 Posts
If found this video helpful when i decided to re-use my DMF...It answers both questions:

Max rotational spec is 5 teeth (2-3 is like new in my limited experience)
Max side to side slop is 2.9mm (a little less than the thickness of two pennies)

https://youtu.be/58nU-f0azb8
I for one didn't watch the whole video, but IMHO that flywheel is toast. Too much play for me, furthermore the axial play is the killer.

LuK makes a tool to test the flywheels. I also have my own shake/feel/twist test and make judgements predicated upon experience.

FWIW here is the link to the tool and instructions. Enjoy.

https://webcat.schaeffler.com/pim/upload/schaefflerDocs/datasheet/base/br_0231_en.pdf

·
Super Moderator
1,978 Posts
Yeah the first DMF he reviews in that video IS toast, and he says so...Following that, he tests a new one and shows the difference..

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
When I took our car apart, the new Luk flywheel rotated about 3 teeth.
The 170k flywheel rotated- about 3 teeth.

They felt so similar that I will reuse the used one - but NOT on an xi!

t

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses. To take out the transmission on the xi was a PITA so I might just suck it up and get a new one.

When I was rocking it back and forth I could hit the two masses together, but only something with enough force.

I'll contact LUK with my finding (hopefully they are open during this time of corona) and will reply to what they say

I could always go back salvage yard and just get it for free as it is part of the whole transmission that I bought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts