BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I searched this one up but it doesn't seem like anyone has asked it. Maybe because it just wouldn't work but out of curiosity has anyone thought of the DTM style angel eyes (with the flat bottoms) in our e46 housings?

I've ordered a couple of sets based on varying diameters to try and see if it can be done.

Something like this pic

Not sure if I should zip up my flame suit lol. I figured with some of the projects including blacking out the chrome shrouds, this might be something that can be pulled off.

Thoughts on this?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw those and they're not what I'm after. Plus those are sedan only from what I remember. I was talking about retrofitting these (see below) into the e46 housings.

Given the round reflectors in the e46 I know its not ideal, but that's why I was thinking if they're blacked out (like some people have done when doing the quad xenon conversion), this may work.

I've ordered a few sets, and just waiting for them to arrive now. Have an extra pre-facelift coupe headlight kicking around that I can experiment on as well! :)

·
Because Race...Convertible?
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,941 Posts
Wont happen. The only people who have done it are OSS Designs. Once. On one E46. Good luck getting through to them

·
Registered
833 Posts
Wont happen. The only people who have done it are OSS Designs. Once. On one E46. Good luck getting through to them
Oss is super expensive, but they look so nice. We were thinking of getting the flat bottom angel eyes and dtm eyebrow on my dads e90 m3. I just want to see it on the e46

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Damn thanks for the photo carbon his car looks insane. I didn't realize OSS had done that. To be honest I hadn't heard his name mentioned here in a while either. But as for it not happening, why the negativity man? I'd like to give it a shot before throwing in the towel...

I had taken apart my spare headlight after seeing all this clear lens zkw-r business..

The fixed shutter in the single xenons

The size is smaller on the single xenons vs the double xenons and I spoke with the guys at trs.. unfortunately they've got nothing that's a direct drop in for these. :cry:

On the single xenon lights these are 2.5" with a depth of 0.7" and what TRS has apparently won't fit. Well I thought I'd point it out before anyone opens up their single xenon AL lights.

Put it back together to get back on topic for the original plan

Anndddd.....

I ordered two sets of these because one company wouldn't release the size (diameters) of the rings.

The second set was smoked (acrylic had just been roughed up a bit), and slightly wider.

I'll have some measurement pics and sizes in the next few days. It's pretty late for me right now lol.

This is as far as I've gotten, I did some fitting with the lens and inner shroud. It'll need a bit of the dremel treatment. As well I'll have to make custom brackets with clips for the rings.

I'll leave it here for now and update as things progress with sizes and everything needed to replicate this. :thumbup:

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,941 Posts
Seems interesting, but Ill be unable to participate with any progress. Dont get me wrong, Im all for taking my headlights apart. But the sizing doesnt even seem in the neighborhood for facelift coupe. By looking at the above pictures, I bet I could make those flat rings work on non facelift.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Me too!^ can you post pics on how the acrylic looks compared to the smd one? Is acrylic as clean as a cob angel eye? Or can you still see the gaps between the leds when it's on

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got tied up with work these last few weeks. Then when I got back on it I realized that the flat bottom angel eyes never came with clips :banghead:, like the ones meant for our cars (e46). These use double sided tape to mount in the F30 and E90 cars. So ordered some angel eye clips from ebay.

Now that work has let up a bit, I'll check out the hardware stores as well locally to see if I can figure something else. But if that doesn't work, as soon as the clips come in I'll get back on this and have more pictures for everyone. It'll get done for sure I'm not abandoning this project lol. :thumbup:

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,941 Posts
I think it would go with the e46 about as well as the e9x

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 61 Posts