BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
O.D.
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kinda a big problem since i can't see my guages at night when i turn on my lights, the amber illumination won't light up! No guage lights at all, and the a/c control lights wont light up, and the shift gate barely lights up, just barely. What could be the problem? fuses are fine, unless there are other places to check for other fuses. :sad:

Also, when i hit the dsc button it will not turn on, the ! won't come up, and the little dsc button doesnt turn on green either. Anotehr fuse problem? This actually seems light a bigger problem
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Check your gauge panel dimmer switch?! :dunno:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
did u leave the dimmer wire hanging??? the orange wire from the harness?? your HU is set to dim when it recieves a positive signal from your guages... when u leave the wire hanging and it touches ur frame, this will cause a short...the short will usually burn the fuse for ur guages.... everytime u put a new fuse in, it will burn until u have that wire fixed...happened to me in my old car... took me months to figure it out..

·
O.D.
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but which fuses are for my gauges, i couldnt find a specific one, and i havent seen any shorted fuses?> (are these fuses located in the glove compartment?) I'll check on that orange wire, could i just tape the end with electrical tape? Thanks :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
the fuse for it should b in the glove box... yeah, you could do that... just as long as it can't touch the frame anymore..

·
O.D.
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hm alright, i dont knoww hich number fuse it is, and the little diagram in the glovecompartment doesnt list a specific number for the guage lights. What else might the car amber lighting be labeled as? TIA!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
check the one that says "instrument panel"... if it's burnt just put another fuse in there... turn ur lights on and see if the fuse burnt again... if it burnt again, then the short is still there..

·
O.D.
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, thanks! If this isnt the case, it may be more serious, and i'll just have tot ake it to a dealer or bmw shop

Thanks for your help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts