BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Is not Persian
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my car is in Cali right now, and it will never in its life see snow. But, just out of curiosity, how does the DSC perform in snow? Is it effective in getting you out of those tight situations? A few times I've "tested" the DSC in the rain. It was pouring rain, really hard and stuff, and I gunned it on a turn. The car was fishtailing a bit, but it stayed perfectly on course. Can it perform this well in the snow? :dunno:

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,499 Posts
I read on here somewhere that Car and Driver did a test to see which was better: standard 4 wheel drive, or 2 wheel DSC. They said that in some cases, DSC out performed the 4 wheel drive.

·
-not a mod-
31,408 Posts
It gets annoying when it kicks in, but seems to help. This morning was our first snow fall here, and everytime I hit the gas it seemed to kick in. This was only on roads where it was barely driven, so the roads were pretty slick.

·
Registered
136 Posts
ininfinitum said:
I'd like to find a nice, flat, large, icy parking lot and test out what happens when DSC isn't on.
There's a lot called charlston flats its off the 2 highway on the way to mountain high. My buddies and I go there occasionally to burn some rubber donuts into the asphalt. Should be iced over right now.

·
Registered
440 Posts
DSC off on a snowy/icy parking lot is fun!!! :D

DSC in the snow is annoying. I usually push the DSC button once (without holding it) to get more traction from the start but after that I turn it back on.

·
Registered
223 Posts
We had our first snow here (3 inches) and didn't really want to take it out in it....but just wanted to see what kind of traction I would get with the stock Conti's and the DSC all the way off. First let me say that the Conti's SUCK in snow of any depth. Like rollerblading with roller bearings for wheels. It's going where it wants to go with just a little tap on the gas pedal. Which was a blast in a huge parking lot. Doughnuts a plenty:D Just going down the cleared street and tapping the gas again sent me into a fishtail, (fun again!). Thought I better stop playing around before I actually hit something, turned the DSC back on and couldn't slide at all. Anti locks going off on differant wheels at differant times (mostly while cornering) and just not spinning at all was VERY impressive.
So...yeah...it works very well in my opinion:thumbup:

And yes..I have a winter beater, 95 S-10 4wd Blazer:thumbdwn:
Runs good so I can't complain I guess...

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
well u know it's the best after reading this stuff, but with an Xi you get DSC and the AWD :pimpin: you get both ! Nah, but it's good stuff, a friend of mine had a non Xi, same thing tho, 2001 330i silver, and he fishtailed some more around corners in this past snow we had in DC this weekend but other than that he kept up pretty well. Last year we had like 2 or 3 inches and I was cruisin w/o problems, of course with DSC on and with help from my Xi.

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,336 Posts
It works reallly well in the snow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went out this weekend to see how my car would perform in the snow and I was surprised. I could actually out-accelerate front wheel drive cars with no fish tailing . I also accelerated thru a u-turn and it only fish-tailed a bit but I was still in control. Keep in mind I still have my summer tires on.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,378 Posts
2001BMW330xi said:
well u know it's the best after reading this stuff, but with an Xi you get DSC and the AWD :pimpin: you get both ! Nah, but it's good stuff, a friend of mine had a non Xi, same thing tho, 2001 330i silver, and he fishtailed some more around corners in this past snow we had in DC this weekend but other than that he kept up pretty well. Last year we had like 2 or 3 inches and I was cruisin w/o problems, of course with DSC on and with help from my Xi.
The first thing I do when I see snow is turn DSC off. It's stalled the car four times in the snow, and I'm never going to let that happen again.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I agree, I never have DSC on anyway (push and hold the button) and I find that my car behaves in a more predictable manner with it off regardless of the conditions. Plus, the car stalls with dsc on in the snow, and you can't drop it in fourth going up hill @ 2 miles an hour to get just the right amount of wheelspin to get up that steep icy hill...

·
Movin On Up
615 Posts
dsc in the snow aint too shabby...its when dsc is off and UCONN has yet to plow the big open parking lots when its even better!!!!

·
Is not Persian
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys! I'm never gonna use this information in my life (except maybe to brag about my car to my friends) but it's great to know that I have indeed bought one quality car!:thumbup:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well I must agree, I was sort of upset with my car when it snowed. There was bout 4-6 in out and I thought, lets see what the Xi can do. Well, it would not even spin! I could not make it slide, nothing. So I hit the button, then I had fun! A little too much because around the one turn, sort of scared myself and decided I liked my car too much and turned it back on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts