BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you noticed improved performance, along with an increase in throttle response when you turn the DSC off? My car drives perfectly fine with the DSC active, but it seems like it gets a little more pep with the DSC turned off. The car is an 01 325i 5spd. I am curious, but I have not been able to find any data or conclusive proof about this but I wonder if when you turn off the DSC, particularly on the electronic throttle models, if the computer switches to a more aggressive throttle/spark maps? Any ideas?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't think that the DSC has anything to do with overall performance. My understanding is that it applies brake pressure to the wheel(s) that are breaking traction and reduces engine output in order to keep from loosing control and/or a spin from happening.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Lol! I am right there with you. I know it doesn't make a difference but I swear my car is faster with the ASC off. It's almost like an OCD with me, if I notice that I didn't turn it off when I started the car, I turn it off right then. I don't think it's faster, I think you are just pushing it a little harder, I know I do because I don't want it to kick in if I didn't turn it off.
Green

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like it may be time for a performance test. I had an '04 Mach 1 with 310bhp stock that I bought new in late '04 and no matter how much traction you actually had the computer would not allow full power under 50-55mph in 1st or 2nd gear with the tcs enabled. As soon as you hit about 50-55 the car magically came alive. Turn the tcs off and plant it at anyspeed and it would get full power. It was kinda weird especially considering the car had the old mechanical/cable style throttle. I wonder if the BMW has something similar to this where it won't advance the spark timing and fuel as much with the dsc/asc still active. Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts