BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I had the 5DF5 error on my DSC MK60 unit, this error basically means the module has gone bad and needs to be replaced. I got a unit from a later model car (2003 325i) from a junkyard for $134. Always get one that has the lines still attached and the plug in.

I'd rate this difficulty a 7/10 and shouldn't be taken lightly. I'm using a Virtual Machine environment, if you have Windows XP 32bit installed on a laptop you don't need to worry about a Virtual Machine.

Tools:
Flare nut wrenches in 11mm and 12mm (DO NOT use standard wrenches, you will round stuff)

INPA K+DCAN Cable, I purchased this one: http://ebay.to/2sVq02L

INPA Tools, you need one with E46 Special tests: http://dlid.org/e46/ediabas-6.4.3-full.nrg
VirtualBox VM: https://www.virtualbox.org/

A copy of Windows XP 32-bit (Finding this is up to you, legal or otherwise)

-------------Installing Windows XP 32bit VM---------------------------------------

1. Download VirtualBox, from the website using whatever version matches your system. Mine is a Windows 10 64-bit machine.

2. Install VirtualBox, pretty simple and easy.

3. This is where it gets tricky, Click on New.

4. Give the Machine a Name, and select Windows XP 32bit

5. I use 1 to 2 GB for the system RAM, I would recommend at least 1 gig of RAM

6. You need at least 50 gigs to install INPA

7. Start the Machine and select the .iso or DVD for your Windows Install

8. Install Windows XP

9. Now you have a VM, time to install INPA.

----------Installing INPA-----------------------------

1. Click on Devices, in your VM machine and install the Guest Additions

2. Click on Devices again and click on drag and drop and turn on drag and drop with bidirectional movement.

3. Click on your extracted INPA-CD folder and put it in your C:\ Folder on the VM

4. Click on the Start, right click on computer, and click on Properties

5. Click on Advanced, you should see this screen

6. Click Environment Variables, you should see this screen

7. Select Path and click edit: At the end of the Variable Value space add, ";C:\EDIABAS\Bin"
Like so:

8. Then Click Ok

9. Click New, Put "ediabas_config_dir" for Variable Name, and "C:\Ediabas\bin" for Variable Value
Like so:

10. Click Ok until you exit System Properties, and restart the VM

11. Open your C:\INPA_CD\Referenz\INSTALL, and run Instprog

12. Click OK on the message that pops up

13. Select English (Or German if you're so inclined)

14. Press Continue 2x

15. Make sure the C: drive is selected, it should be selected by Default

16. Click Continue and select BMW Rectification Progam UK, hit continue again

17. Select INPA, EDIABAS, and NCSExpert for Complete installs, I have issues with WinKFP still

18. Select OBD as the interface, even if you have a round plug under hood connection

19. At this point the left hand view should look like this:

Mine says to delete old files cause I'm doing this over again for your benefit.

20.Hit End, and restart VM

21. INPA is now installed!

------Modifying your K+DCAN cable-----

Here's the deal with the K+DCAN cable, our cars require pins 7 and 8 bridged, go ahead and do this, it's not hard and I would recommend removing the board from its plastic housing. Take care not to spill solder on any other connections.

Here's the deal with green vs. white pcbs, it doesn't matter. What does matter is this chip. You need an FTDI chip for this to work.

1. Plug your modified cable into the laptop

2. In the VirtualBox VM window, right click on the USB icon and select either unknown device or for me it popped up as FTDI FT232R, or some other one that wasn't there before.

3. If you bought the same cable as I did, put the driver file from the CD into the VM via drag and drop. If not download the FTDI driver here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

4. If using same cable, open device manager by right clicking on my computer and selecting properties. Then selecting Hardware then Device manager. Once in device manager go to the next step.

5. Select Com ports or whatever unknown device there is and point the install driver dialogue at the FTDI driver folder, it should install 2 drivers.

6. Select your new com port and right click it and select properties then port settings, then Advanced.

7. Change the port number to COM1, and the latency timer to 1, end result is this.

SERIOUSLY, ATTACH A BATTERY TENDER WHEN CODING!!! DON'T BE LIKE ME AND FRY A BATTERY

8. Go plug the cable into the car and turn the ignition on.

9. Right click on the desktop and select new shortcut and type this for the target. "C:\INPA\BIN\INPALOAD.EXE", then repeat the process but use "C:\NCSEXPER\BIN\NCSEXPER.EXE". These will put 2 shortcuts on the desktop for INPA and NCSEXPERT which you will need for the DSC replacement.

10. Fire up INPA and you should see this screen. It may flash an error but you shouldn't have to worry.

INPA and NCSExpert are now installed. I'm still compiling stuff for the DSC replacement so I'll be adding to this in the next post.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok here we go, this is going to be hard.

First check your DSC Unit, MK60 cars will have a P/N 34516759045 on the ABS pump.

Go get your new to you or new DSC.

1. Remove the Cabin air cleaner, airbox, MAF and upper intake hose, take care to cover the lower intake hose. Remove the Booster vacuum line.

Don't worry about my rusty booster, it gets fixed!

2. Siphon as much fluid out of the brake reservoir, remove the filter to get as much as possible. (It will take some effort, I recommend a thin pair of needle nose pliers at the 12 o' clock position.) It does come out.

3. Manual owners, disconnect the clutch braided line and plug it. I used a hex head bolt.

4. Remove the 10mm mounting bolt for the DSC unit, it's down past the master cylinder between it and the DME box.

5. Undo the 13mm nuts mounting the Master cylinder to the booster, I recommend ratcheting wrenches.

6. Pick up both the DSC unit and the master and pull the master off the booster, just enough so you can get at the two lines and pressure sensors. It is totally possible to get the master all the way off, in fact I recommend it.

7. Unplug the 2 pressure sensors on the master

8. Put A lot of paper towels around the two master cylinder lines, it's gonna leak

9. Undo the 11 and 12mm flange nuts using your flange nut wrenches and remove the master cylinder. Taking care to immediately clean up any spilled fluid. Remove the master cylinder lines.

10. You should now see the DSC unit, label all of the lines

11. Unplug the DSC, pull up on the plug and pull it out of the way.

12. Undo the lines going into the DSC, they are all 11mm.

13. Remove DSC.

Old unit on left, new on right

Installation is the reverse of removal, but first! Plug your new DSC unit in.

-----Coding the DSC-----
1. Turn on the ignition, and attach a tender.

2. Plug in OBD cable and start INPA

3. Press F3 and select chassis and MK60.

4. Read Errors, you should see 1 labeled Vin not initialized calibrate steering

5. Close INPA

6. Open NCSExpert

7. Load the Expert Profile

8. Press F1

9. Press F3 and select E46, then select AKMB or EWS. Whichever works, on my '02 it was AKMB

10. Press F6

11. Press F4 and select MK60

12. Press F3 and you should end up with this

13. Close NCSExpert and Open INPA

14. Get back to the MK60 menu

15. Press Shift+F4, and make sure your wheel is straight!!!

16. Press F1

17. Check the errors again and the VIN error should be gone.

Put everything back and take care to make sure all lines are tight.

Bleed the system using INPA by triggering the system, this will take a while. You will need a friend cause it is very likely that there will be air in the system. Press the pedal no more than 80%.

In order to trigger the ABS system go to the Activate menu and activate the side that's being bled. The system will let you know to press to 80% while using INPA. I caution you, this bleeding will take A LONG time. If for whatever reason the pedal is still soft on engine start (this is likely due to air in the DSC unit) take it to a shop, if not then you've just saved about 4000 doing this job yourself.

·
// Quandt AG (Retired) //
3,700 Posts
Nice write up but I don't understand why you need a VM environment? I run the full suite of BMW Standard Tools on Win Xp fine - it is native XP unless you are providing these instructions specifically to run on an OS that is not XP 32, in which case you should point that out at the beginning (using a standard 32 bit XP host doesn't require a VM setup.)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice write up but I don't understand why you need a VM environment? I run the full suite of BMW Standard Tools on Win Xp fine - it is native XP unless you are providing these instructions specifically to run on an OS that is not XP 32, in which case you should point that out at the beginning (using a standard 32 bit XP host doesn't require a VM setup.)
Yeah, I'll edit that in. I run Windows 10 64bit as my host.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts