BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Just Marinatin'
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there something wrong with my car? Sometimes when I am on the highway or something and I accelerate fast and switch gears the DSC starts kicking in. It was not wet outside and I was on straight road. This happen to anyone else? Is it because of suspension, tires, or what?

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,988 Posts
i think i know what is happening

it happens to me when i gun it. if you are guning the engine if you loose any traction then the light comes on. to make you not to skit or loose equal traction on any tires. that is way they say to take it off when you want to launch with the sport button press.
bobm3 :D :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
it depends

that happens to me alot when i accelerate somewhat aggressively. i noticed it kicks in often when the road isn't smooth and i am going over small bumps. also when turning because depending on how hard you mash the throttle the inside wheel will always spin faster than the outside wheel.

·
'a certain moderator'
36,818 Posts
i have been just mildly accelerating on the highway (its a 325, cant accelerate too hard anyways :D ) and the DSC has kicked in when i hit highway bridge joints. in fact, i think i have just been cruising, and this has happened, in the dry. very strange, but nothing is really wrong

then again, sometimes i think the wheels are slipping (like i can hear them on gravel a little) and the DSC light does not illuminate... maybe time to have the dealer check it out...

-brendan

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you change gears fast and and you release the clutch fast you will get some wheel slippage. I used to call it "gear chirping." I would expect if there is any wheel slippage that DSC would turn on.

Also..simsima..I would take a guess and assume that you where on a concrete bridge with metal joints? Concrete would be higher in the friction scale than the metal joints so the tire should slip when it hits the metal.

·
'a certain moderator'
36,818 Posts
they arent always metal joints, just anywhere in the highway that it is uneven, my DSC has been known to go off. taking in my car on tuesday, so i will make a mention

-brendan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts