BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago I took my car to the dealer because I had lost the temperature sensor and front bumper tire well guard. I also reported the DSC + Engine light indicators coming on. The next day I picked up the car, the sensor and guard replaced (cost me $270).

The service rep explained that the engine light was due to a faulty wire/harness. The fault was due to a factory defect. I was told that the car was safe to drive and that I would be contacted when the part was in the shop.

So a week or so goes by, I’m on the freeway with my girlfriend and her 4-year-old niece. I’m doing about 65 and the DSC failure light comes on (EML-DSC-BRAKE) and then the throttle doesn’t work. My speed is dropped to 15 MPH… and I cannot increase speed. I immediately turn my hazards and I attempt to get to the right. Cars are flying by me and I avoid getting hit from the rear three times. It was about as hairy a situation I’ve been in while driving. I finally make it to the shoulder (the 101 has NO left hand shoulder) and my girl is panicked and her niece is crying. I kept my cool through the whole thing and my first reaction is “the hell was that about?”

So I shut the car off. Sit for a few. Start her up and she runs fine. I pull off the road and I have the same problem. Pull into Starbucks and get coffee and wait. Start it up. No problem, but a block later, the same. I couldn’t get the car any faster than 5MPH. I crawl it home, park and leave it for about 6 hours. It was Sunday and the dealer was closed.

Later that day, I checked the car and it ran fine for the next two days. I dropped the car off yesterday and talked to the SAME service rep and he says: “The DSC error could be caused by the engine wire that is faulty.”

I say, “But what about the throttle issue? I couldn’t move.”

“Oh, that’s the DSC. The DSC is telling the car you’re in a skid, so it mutes the engine.”

“On… the freeway…”

So essentially, the guy tells me it is safe to drive. No worry. Then tells me (after I report it) that my DSC could fail and deny the engine any power due to the defective part. Tell me… am I nuts to be pissed off right now?

What I’m looking to do is call BMW customer service and tell the story and ask what they’ll do to make me a happy BMW customer…

Thoughts? What would you guys do?

By the way, I drive a 2002 325Ci and it is still under warranty. If you drive this car, you may want the following part checked: 12-51-7-513-554

·
Registered
539 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. I had the EXACT same experience (freeway, lights, no power, ALL OF IT). I had it towed to the dealer, they replaced the throttle position controller. Two days later, same thing happens. They ordered and replaced my engine wiring harness and it totally fixed the problem. No issues in 8 months.

It's your engine wiring harness. Let them replace it and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Why would you have to pay for the sensor? I can see the tire well guard possibly as that may have come off by something you did?

As for the service guy saying what he is saying. Tell him to give it to you in writing that the car is indeed "safe" to drive.

In addition, offer to write it down for him that his definition of "safe" is possibly having the DSC fail where you could lose power on the freeway or while going up a hill, etc.

Ask him to sign it. I doubt he will.

Otherwise...since your car is under warranty...ask that they provide an equivalent loaner until that part comes in. Tell them you prefer to keep your car at home as you wouldn't want it to be damaged in any way and cause more headaches not only for yourself...but them also.

Be polite but firm. Good luck.

·
INDEED
1,135 Posts
damn that is scary as hell... I wonder if calling BMWNA would help any. If not, find a good lawyer to pressure the dealer to replace the necessary parts!!!

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
5,186 Posts
I would honestly rip that service guy apart. If it was just me in there, i may not be so pissed, but to have a girlfriend and a 4 year old in the car i would have killed the guy for being so ignorant. That could have caused a serious accident...:tsk:

·
F22C1
976 Posts
i had those lights on before. its probalby the wiring harness. they should give you a loaner and you should leave it at the dealership. luckily i didnt get caught on the highway. it just left me stranded :rolleyes:
you should leave it at the shop and let the days rack up. 30days and you qualify for a buyback. i wouldnt consider it safe from what you went through. bmw will pay for your car rental if they do not have a loaner available.
goodluck

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all.

As an update, the service rep said the harness was installed and I shouldn't have an error. I'm going to complain to customer service... I'm interested how far they would go to make a BMW driver happy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem on my 5 series...the ABS sensors were changed in 98 and they let water in and failed, result no ABS etc and your dash lights up like a christmas tree. BMW wouldn't recall because they said it was safe, except you loose traction control and ABS...:eek: :eek: :eek:

When the back one went it told the engine the wheels were spinning and cut the throttle, result dead car....:thumbdwn:

The last time they went was just after Xmas driving 80 miles in ice and snow in a rear wheel drive car with no ABS or traction control...The man at BMW got a major bollocking and they came and collected the car from my house an hour later and changed everything for the new stuff because I was so pissed off....:banghead: :banghead:

No problems at all after that...

Touch wood the 330 has been faultless so far..:D

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Dre said:
Two weeks ago I took my car to the dealer because I had lost the temperature sensor and front bumper tire well guard. I also reported the DSC + Engine light indicators coming on. The next day I picked up the car, the sensor and guard replaced (cost me $270).

The service rep explained that the engine light was due to a faulty wire/harness. The fault was due to a factory defect. I was told that the car was safe to drive and that I would be contacted when the part was in the shop.

So a week or so goes by, I’m on the freeway with my girlfriend and her 4-year-old niece. I’m doing about 65 and the DSC failure light comes on (EML-DSC-BRAKE) and then the throttle doesn’t work. My speed is dropped to 15 MPH… and I cannot increase speed. I immediately turn my hazards and I attempt to get to the right. Cars are flying by me and I avoid getting hit from the rear three times. It was about as hairy a situation I’ve been in while driving. I finally make it to the shoulder (the 101 has NO left hand shoulder) and my girl is panicked and her niece is crying. I kept my cool through the whole thing and my first reaction is “the hell was that about?”

So I shut the car off. Sit for a few. Start her up and she runs fine. I pull off the road and I have the same problem. Pull into Starbucks and get coffee and wait. Start it up. No problem, but a block later, the same. I couldn’t get the car any faster than 5MPH. I crawl it home, park and leave it for about 6 hours. It was Sunday and the dealer was closed.

Later that day, I checked the car and it ran fine for the next two days. I dropped the car off yesterday and talked to the SAME service rep and he says: “The DSC error could be caused by the engine wire that is faulty.”

I say, “But what about the throttle issue? I couldn’t move.”

“Oh, that’s the DSC. The DSC is telling the car you’re in a skid, so it mutes the engine.”

“On… the freeway…”

So essentially, the guy tells me it is safe to drive. No worry. Then tells me (after I report it) that my DSC could fail and deny the engine any power due to the defective part. Tell me… am I nuts to be pissed off right now?

What I’m looking to do is call BMW customer service and tell the story and ask what they’ll do to make me a happy BMW customer…

Thoughts? What would you guys do?

By the way, I drive a 2002 325Ci and it is still under warranty. If you drive this car, you may want the following part checked: 12-51-7-513-554
Off topic but was that star bucks u stopped at right by Mckenna BMW?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: DSC - Engine: Service Rep Tells Me Car Was Safe To Drive...

iTzJoNjOn69 said:

Off topic but was that star bucks u stopped at right by Mckenna BMW?
It was the one on Topanga and Ventura, Woodland Hills.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts