BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was playing around with the DSC feature tonight on my car, and I was testing the differences between driving with it on or off.

When I hold down the DSC button for 5 secs+, the DSC light would come on (indicating that the DSC was turned off,) but also, the "BRAKE" indicator lit up on my dash. It lit up in a yellow light, rather than a red light if you were to have the brake on. What does it mean when it lights up yellow when the DSC is turned off?

:dunno:

///Faheem

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked out your link and read your write up...so does that mean that ALL of the stability control components of the car are shut off when "BRAKE" lights up in yellow? Also, if just the DSC light is on, does that mean that some of the stability control components are still on?

·
Registered OG User
586 Posts
Faheem Daddy said:
I checked out your link and read your write up...so does that mean that ALL of the stability control components of the car are shut off when "BRAKE" lights up in yellow? Also, if just the DSC light is on, does that mean that some of the stability control components are still on?
Yep, exactly correct. With only a click of the DSC button, ADB and a few other things are still active.

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So when I take my car to the California Speedway this Saturday, I'll have to make sure both the DSC & BRAKE indicators are illuminated in order to get the most hp/torque down to the wheels?

·
Registered
82 Posts
So to speak.. yes.. It's more less interference from stability systems than it is increasing the amount of hp/tq you have at the wheels. Note that your ABS can not be disabled, so be expecting it if it happens :)

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, well of course its not going to increase HP/Torque, but it should allow me to deliver more to the wheels, right?

·
Registered OG User
586 Posts
Faheem Daddy said:
Yeah, well of course its not going to increase HP/Torque, but it should allow me to deliver more to the wheels, right?
Yes, but not unless you start buring out, although I don't know how much power a 325 has. Don't mean that in a bad way, just I dont know the cars potential. I think only DSC being off, you'll get the best results. But I may be wrong.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Faheem Daddy said:
No.. dsc does not dumb down the hp/tq delivered to the wheels... It simply cuts back on that amount when you're reaching into the limit.. :) With them off, you will have complete control of the car.. this doesn't necessairly mean you'll get better times nevertheless... depends on your skill.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,378 Posts
Here's my suggestion:
Until you're truly familiar with the car, leave ADB on. When the BRAKE light comes on, that means the active differential braking system is turned off. Basically, this system is designed to prevent one wheel from totally losing traction and spinning madly. Remember that the E46 has an OPEN differential, so all power goes to the wheel with the LEAST traction.

While you can theoretically drive the car faster with ADB off, I suggest leaving it on until you know how the car handles. I've seen a startling number of "I turned off ADB and totalled my car" stories. Doing this on a track for the first time would be an even worse idea.

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys....its all very helpful. :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts