BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead:

car:2000 328ci w/19" rims & lowered 2" front & back. (many other unrelated mods). Problem: for the past few months when i go around a turn going left and downhill the dsc light comes on and if i touch the brakes they've automatically gone into abs mode. The whole dsc system seems to be MUCH more sensitive overall but especially on left turns. I've brought the car to a dealer who gave me a bunch of BS about the car being (confused) due to the rims and lowering of the car. There were no fault codes and nothing found out of the ordinary. I brought the car to a very trustworthy friend who went over the suspension with a fine tooth comb. He redid the alignment, recalibrated the steering put on new tie-rod end links and new lower control arms. He could not find any fault codes from the system either. I picked the car up and it felt a lot better but the dsc light still goes off on turns i could normally take at much higher speeds. New tires on the rear (245/35/19) and 10,000 miles on front tires (225/35/19). He did say that the front rims were slightly bent but didn't think that could really be the reason the car was acting the way it is. Does anybody have any suggestions or have you ever heard of something like this? Please Help!!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
all this and you still bought it?? i am not sure but bent wheels should be fixed first and take it from there..

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
it is funny, cuz mine had a bent rim (OEM). the dsc was on. the dealer (No a bimmer dealer) replaced all wheels and the rim. never knew what cause it, but the light is gone until today.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help. I am the original owner. I got the rims fixed and it is still doing it. Not nearly as much but the dsc is still extra sensitive going around left turns (mostly going downhill). Any other ideas? HELP! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
You may be taking all/most of the weight off the inside front tire, causing it to lock very easily with the brakes.

Well, the tires are over a half inch different in diameter - 245/35/19 is 25.8 inches and a 225/35/19 is 25.2 inches.
This would make the DSC/ABS more sensitive as the tires are turning at slightly different rates to begin with, 810 revs per mile rear and 828 revs per mile front.

I would also check for any rubbing of the tires, especially the inside rear if it is only turning in one direction.
I would also check the rear brakes to see if they are dragging or the emergency brake is dragging.

If you had some BMW Specific diagnostic software you could record the data from the wheel sensors and see what is happening.
AutoEnginiuity software with the enhanced BMW module will do this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts