BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

After almost 220,000 miles and 10+ years of ownership my DSC module seems to have given up the ghost.

This has been an intermittent issue for quite some time and now the DSC/ABS fails with both the DSC light and the yellow brake lights on permanently. The shop I am using claims the only way to fix this is to replace both the unit and hydraulic DSC module after their tests. The cost for the part alone new is $2600-3500 not including parts and labor which is just absurd and there must be a more cost effective solution to get this solved.

Has anyone had any luck with a service that rebuilds these units? I have found some ebay and google listings that claim they can rebuild them for $200-300 but I have no way of knowing or verifying their claims and want to make sure if the car is out of commision for a few days I will be getting back a fully functioning unit.

Part number was given to me as 34516764087 - DSC Control Unit or DSC Hydraulic Unit

RealOem Link Here
*Note the shop is saying it is part 1 not just 2 that is the root cause or at least they cannot isolate or rule out the electronic portion (2) as the cause.

Codes:
5E20 - pressure sensor 1
5E24 - pressure sensor implausible reading

The shop I used issued this on their electronic report they emailed me to me if this helps. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to consign this car to wrecking yard yet it as it has served me well for years but this repair is looking like it will cost more than the clutch change I just had.
(copy and paste)
"Comprehensive computer diagnosis.
Faults in DME.. (5E20) pressure sensor 1 and (5E24) pressure sensor
implausibility. No light currently on at this time, but after running thru all hydraulic
system and pressure sensor testing, both the hydraulic system and pressure sensor's
1 and 2 passed at -1.33 bar and -0.91 bar.. System is functioning correctly at this
time.
NOTE.... History pressure sensor faults of 44.56 bar and 44.98 bar respectively
were in DSC control unit. These occured 14 times.
NOTE.... Also had a fault in DME for thermal oil level sensor.
Next step would be to replace the ABS/DSC hydraulic unit with control unit."

Attachments

·
Registered
7,493 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
http://www.bba-reman.com/us/catalogue/detailedproduct.aspx?detailedproduct=2503

but, those errors are for the pressure switches in the master cylinder , are they not?

use inpa and check your wheel sensors , i had those pressure errors in pa soft , but the fix was the left front wheel sensor

a new module is your last resort

don't believe a shop
99% sure it is NOT the wheel sensors. My reasoning is I've had wheelspeed sensor failures before and there is a separate ABS light that comes on with this but not in this scenario. I've used this shop for years and they've assured me they tested the wheel sensors. The pressure switches are on the DSC/ABS control unit in question if I understand correctly.

I actually called BBA Remanufacturing before I even got this message (my shop suggested them). The unit in my car is an ATE (not Bosch) and they said the have repaired them before. Anyone have a good experience with this company? The google/facebook/yelp reviews seem questionable at best.

If it helps this error has been intermittent for about 2 years now. When the weather is cooler everything works perfectly. Now that temps are starting to drift over 80F it triggers it like clockwork.

·
Registered
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L and 2.0L Z3's
504 Posts
I have seen those codes before and agree with Wasp9166, that the codes are for the pressure sensors on the side of the master cylinder.

Your test report sounds like they checked the pressure sensors and as they passed they are guessing that it is the control unit or the DSC hydro unit.

I would buy good secondhand units (same part numbers) and get them coded to your car.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have seen those codes before and agree with Wasp9166, that the codes are for the pressure sensors on the side of the master cylinder.

Your test report sounds like they checked the pressure sensors and as they passed they are guessing that it is the control unit or the DSC hydro unit.

I would buy good secondhand units (same part numbers) and get them coded to your car.
New units are at minimum $2600 USD. Second hand units are difficult to test and I have no idea if they can be coded properly given they'll have a different VIN and vehicle order code in them. I've heard mixed reviews of rebuilt units.

The other problem I'm having when I've called a few of these places is they all claim they have successfully repaired the electronic portion of the DSC modules (usually just a broken solder that is an easy fix for them) but the hydraulic section is a different story. I need to be sure anywhere I send the module can rebuild the DSC hydro unit.

·
Registered
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L and 2.0L Z3's
504 Posts
The new units will need to be coded to the car in the same way as you code secondhand units. I've fitted second hand units in E36's and coded them OK. Good instructions are out there on the Web.

If second hand units are not your preferred way forward, then send the control unit first for repair, then the DSC controller part of the hydro unit. You can take the DSC controller off the hydro unit and leave the hydro unit attached to all the pipe work.

·
Registered
28,448 Posts
Whatever you do, do not spend money on a "new" part. That part sells for pennies on ebay and there's a **** ton of them on there. Swap it out using the info on the forum and the DIYs contained therein. always laugh at "shops" that put their arm up on the counter, lean back and go YEAP NEED NEW PART. $5k.

uh no, dirtwad. it's $30 on ebay used and i'll go install it myself using my fingers

this is more than a finger job, but learn it yourself and save the 2 grand

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
You can bleed the system using inpa

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Whatever you do, do not spend money on a "new" part. That part sells for pennies on ebay and there's a **** ton of them on there. Swap it out using the info on the forum and the DIYs contained therein. always laugh at "shops" that put their arm up on the counter, lean back and go YEAP NEED NEW PART. $5k.

uh no, dirtwad. it's $30 on ebay used and i'll go install it myself using my fingers

this is more than a finger job, but learn it yourself and save the 2 grand
I'd love to do it myself but live in Washington, DC for a few months and don't have access to the tools or equipment needed to do it right now. The shop quoted $700 for labor (which isn't great) but the cost of the part at $3K+ we both agreed was too much and they offered to help install what I could provide. Sending in my current unit for rebuild at BBA Remanufacturing or Xemodex seems to be the best option. Will report back with the results.

Also Silverdogz your DIY recommends bridging 2 pins on the cables we buy? Are there any that don't require me to resolder and are off the shelf ready?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If second hand units are not your preferred way forward, then send the control unit first for repair, then the DSC controller part of the hydro unit. You can take the DSC controller off the hydro unit and leave the hydro unit attached to all the pipe work.
The problem is the tests seem to indicate it could be the hydro unit not just the DSC controller. I am trying to find a place that can rebuild both but most places seem to only have the capability of refurbishing the DSC electronic portion.

My other fear with 2nd hand units is not just the coding (seems to be well documented how to do this) but the condition. These are not common parts and if the used unit fails a few months later as well since its probably coming off an older wrecked car as well I'm in the same situation again.

P.s. friendly PSA that Xemodex does NOT work on the hydro units only the DSC controller part.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 330Ci convertible, MT, 118,000 miles
172 Posts
I've used Module Master in Moscow Idaho. They do good work.
If you rebuild your present module you won't need to recode it.
The problem is the tests seem to indicate it could be the hydro unit not just the DSC controller. I am trying to find a place that can rebuild both but most places seem to only have the capability of refurbishing the DSC electronic portion.

My other fear with 2nd hand units is not just the coding (seems to be well documented how to do this) but the condition. These are not common parts and if the used unit fails a few months later as well since its probably coming off an older wrecked car as well I'm in the same situation again.

P.s. friendly PSA that Xemodex does NOT work on the hydro units only the DSC controller part.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Yea what the hell I just bought a used dsc pump and module for £25 off ebay. Loads of them for under £50. Got mine so I can make the tpms button work for the retrofit.

Ps I'm also at 215k miles and most used parts are not actually from that high a mileage.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As an update to this since I last posted for others' reference. I found a second hand DSC pump AND electrical module combo. Didn't want to risk having the module rebuilt and it actually be the pump itself. Secondhand salvaged ones aren't terribly expensive and my shop was pretty understanding about using a used part in this scenario (a 15 year old 200K+ car isn't worth investing alot of money into anymore).

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've used Module Master in Moscow Idaho. They do good work.
If you rebuild your present module you won't need to recode it.
I called them. They only rebuild the electrical module NOT the whole hydraulic unit if my understanding was correct.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts