BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I drop the pan to check the dreaded oil pull nut I keep reading about, what else should I check for while under there? I'll need a new gasket too right?

And is it appropriate to just locktite the nut or perhaps drill and safety wire it?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
977 Posts
Just finished oil pan gasket (not fun during summer in TX...). I also did engine mounts, steering guibo, and all ps hoses. You have to lower control arms so now's a good time if needed . Also replace bolts on front subframe and reenforcement plate. GL

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
OP this is on my to-do list.

Save yourself the headache and get this :)

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-206177-drilled-oil-pump-nut-s52-s50-m50-m52-m54/

If you are tracking the car I would look into getting this upgraded harmonic damper. The MS54 are known for harmonic issues above 6k. If you are building a dedicated track car then I would look into also upgrading the oil pump.

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-harmonic-damper-bmw-m50m52m54s50uss52us-p756.aspx

Just finished oil pan gasket (not fun during summer in TX...). I also did engine mounts, steering guibo, and all ps hoses. You have to lower control arms so now's a good time if needed . Also replace bolts on front subframe and reenforcement plate. GL

Perfect that answers my question about replacing the front sub-frame bolts. Are they torque to yield like the reinforcement plate? I know those have to be replaced every time it comes off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Good notes. Did you go solid mounts or oem still?
Will look up the steering guibo. Have no idea what that actually is. Haha.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OP this is on my to-do list.

Save yourself the headache and get this :)

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-206177-drilled-oil-pump-nut-s52-s50-m50-m52-m54/

If you are tracking the car I would look into getting this upgraded harmonic damper. The MS54 are non for harmonic issues above 6k. If you are building a dedicated track car then I would look into also upgrading the oil pump.

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/va...talk.com/byo?rid=92578]E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
977 Posts
Perfect that answers my question about replacing the front sub-frame bolts. Are they torque to yield like the reinforcement plate? I know those have to be replaced every time it comes off.
Yes, believe that is correct i.e. torque-to-yield. Bentley says replace plus high-torque is specified.

Good notes. Did you go solid mounts or oem still?
Will look up the steering guibo. Have no idea what that actually is. Haha.
Went with the Reinz mounts which are OE. Yeah, replace the steering guibo and bet you'll notice distinct improvement. They're basically a rubber bushing that connects and isolates steering wheel from rack. They harden and degrade with age. Replacing should give nice tight steering response and eliminate slop.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Went with the Reinz mounts which are OE. Yeah, replace the steering guibo and bet you'll notice distinct improvement. They're basically a rubber bushing that connects and isolates steering wheel from rack. They harden and degrade with age. Replacing should give nice tight steering response and eliminate slop.

+1

·
Registered
27 Posts
FWIW, if you plan to run Spec E46 eventually, the harmonic damper is not spec legal. I do recommend a good long look at the factory damper, they tend to separate as they age. Not a bad idea to change the front oil seal. Depends on how much you want to tear into the engine.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
FWIW, if you plan to run Spec E46 eventually, the harmonic damper is not spec legal. I do recommend a good long look at the factory damper, they tend to separate as they age. Not a bad idea to change the front oil seal. Depends on how much you want to tear into the engine.

Seriously?! Wow that's pretty crazy...considering these cars at 6.5k sound like they are going to rattle apart.

Agree that the old ones do need to be replaced but you are still left with the same problem. :(

Edit: looks like Rob43 was discussing the harmonic balancer rules being changed..."one has never failed yet so we won't allow it" ROFL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts