BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm new here and also, a new owner of a 2002 325i! Basically car of my dreams come true! Anyways...

Just wanted to see what others might say about upgrading the DRL/High beam light bulb itself. I know that on my car, during the day, my light closest to the grill is on, and is running. Looking on other forums I have read that, during the day, the DRL is at a low power, which just gives enough light for safety on the road. I understand at night that it is also the "flash to pass"/high beam and I wanted to get something whiter and brighter to lighten everything up! I used to drive a pick up with low beam HID headlights and they have spoiled me but decided to go against HID to something a little bit less painful on other drivers!

I am just trying to get suggestions of which bulb would be best to get that is very bright when driving at night since I do use my high beams a lot down back roads to my house. I am thinking about upgrading my low beams to maybe a Phillips H7 X-TREME Vision bulb. If anyone who has upgraded theirs could provide some insight, I would love to hear what you have set up! Also, if you have any pictures of your car at night with low beam and high beam, that would be awesome to see how well they light everything up!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks! so the silver stars will work as the DRL and high beam at night? just wanted to be sure. i haven't driven a vehicle that used the DRL as the high beam as well until i just purchased this car recently!

GTS Jeff, thank ill look into one that does, i guess i need to do some reading on different types of bulbs and what the dichroic coating is!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I wouldn't do silverstars unless you want to replace your bulbs every few months and spend a fortune doing so. My thinking is that DRLs don't need to be bright (not that silverstars are) but they should look nice. A bulb with a dichroic coating will make your reflector housing shine rainbowish colours. I'm trying Philips Motovisions right now which are orange/pink dichroic. There's also PIAA ion crystal which is yellow/blue but those bulbs are horribly overpriced. I'm still researching for a cheaper yellow dichroic, although they're not very common nowadays.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Normally I'd recommend the Osram Rallye bulbs (65W H7... basically an H9 burner on an H7 base), but they'd be too bright for DRL purposes. I'd disable the DRLs altogether and then run those bulbs as highbeams only. Do use them for your lowbeams though; they're about 50% brighter than standard H7 (and have identical focal points so you don't have to worry about glare as long as you're aimed properly)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Normally I'd recommend the Osram Rallye bulbs (65W H7... basically an H9 burner on an H7 base), but they'd be too bright for DRL purposes. I'd disable the DRLs altogether and then run those bulbs as highbeams only. Do use them for your lowbeams though; they're about 50% brighter than standard H7 (and have identical focal points so you don't have to worry about glare as long as you're aimed properly)
Agreed, though the Osram Hypers wouldn't realize their full brightness at DRL voltages.

I don't think disabling DRL is a great idea though. I've lost count of how many cars I'll see in the rain or fog with their lights off during the daytime. On a single lane highway, that's just dangerous.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I personally like the DRL. I am however going to look into the Osram lights. I just want something to be bright as well as use he high beam, because I do use that a good bit at night. There are always deer jolting across the roads, critters always running in front of me and I would like to see a little better in front of me with the brighter high beam lights! I will look into the Osram though. thank you!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Is the extra 10w safe to use?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've got standard watt yellow bulbs in the high beam slots and euro designz xenon bulbs in the lows. The yellow looks very european as a drl, and its a great contrast with the blue bulbs on high. Just my .02

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

·
Registered
70 Posts
I personally like the DRL. I am however going to look into the Osram lights. I just want something to be bright as well as use he high beam, because I do use that a good bit at night. There are always deer jolting across the roads, critters always running in front of me and I would like to see a little better in front of me with the brighter high beam lights! I will look into the Osram though. thank you!
Hmm if those lights are also highbeams then yeah Osram Hypers are the way to go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
great! thanks guys! can't wait to get those in and see how they look! I do how ever need to sand down my headlights here soon before i add them. :( the owner left the lights with severe oxidation, didn't know how to take care of their nice BMW, its in good hands now! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
great! thanks guys! can't wait to get those in and see how they look! I do how ever need to sand down my headlights here soon before i add them. :( the owner left the lights with severe oxidation, didn't know how to take care of their nice BMW, its in good hands now! :)
Don't bother...the more you sand your headlights the worse they'll oxidize as you sand away the UV protectant layer. Just buy a new set of lens...you can get cheap knockoffs online.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think $82 is a little much to get clear headlights when i know i can do this in about an 3 hours of so. They end up feeling like glass and i always keep a thin coat of wax on them, as i have done on previous vehicles. I know there might be some risk of getting UV damage sooner but if i keep up the car clean and not in the sun all year like the previous owner probably did, it will be fine in my book. Thank you for the alternative though! Might get some new tail lights though! :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok, but in my experience, all that work to polish them only lasts a few months and it's not possible to get them completely perfect...plus the time and money in polishing adds up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Where do you get the Osram Rallye H7 bulbs? I searched ebay but nada. Thanks for the tips, Phantom.
I prefer http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html for their good customer service.

I've also dealt with rallylights.com in the past (in fact, that's where I got my Osram Hypers back in the day) but I found the customer service at Candlepower just unbeatably good.

PS. Osram Hyper = Osram Rallye

1 - 17 of 17 Posts