BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

A few weeks ago my 1999 328i started idling rough and also needed a lot of gas to start off. At some point it was failing to take off on time at roundabouts...disappointing for a BMW :-(
I visited a local garage and he said the MAF was faulty. He then unplugged it and the car started idling better, driving has also improved. I have been searching for a replacement MAF but havent located one yet.What is the worst that could happen if I keep driving the car with the MAF not connected? I have noticed the fuel consumption is high but I can live with that for now.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
577 Posts
it runs rich, won't heat up properly, **** fuel consumption, not good in the long term, but doesn't really matter that much. you're fine to run without it until you get a new one.

in the mean time though, grab some CNC MAF cleaner, take your MAF off the car, and spray the crap outta it, let it dry (important!!!) then hook it back up, plug it in, and see if that fixes it. you might not need a NEW one, might just need cleaning...

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
If you have to purchase a new MAF, here's a tip. The exact same MAF, made by Siemens, was also used on the 2000 Hyundai Sonata 2.5L. Same part number and everything. However, you can get the Hyundai version for around $140 on eBay, brand new OEM. The cheapest you can find branded with BMW is $260+.

·
Registered
559 Posts
If you have to purchase a new MAF, here's a tip. The exact same MAF, made by Siemens, was also used on the 2000 Hyundai Sonata 2.5L. Same part number and everything. However, you can get the Hyundai version for around $140 on eBay, brand new OEM. The cheapest you can find branded with BMW is $260+.
I said these same words in another thread once...LOL..it true too!

·
Registered
11,522 Posts
I searched on ebay and found one advertised for BMWs for $190. But $140 sounds x100 better.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That's good to know.

·
Just Nuts
7,253 Posts
Cotton buds only cost pennies. But I don't suppose you would get it, the idea that is. Thinking can be remarkably cheap, even cheaper than a hyundai part, if you really think about it - thinking about thinking that is.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Cotton buds only cost pennies. But I don't suppose you would get it, the idea that is. Thinking can be remarkably cheap, even cheaper than a hyundai part, if you really think about it - thinking about thinking that is.
Another uninformed, ignorant post by you. The MAF is made by Siemens, the same OEM manufacturer of BMW MAFs, and has the exact same part number. It's literally the exact same part made for two different cars...Siemens even lists it in their catalog to fit BOTH BMWs and Hyundai's.

Do a little research before you open your mouth. Wow, I find myself saying that in just about every thread you post in....

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
It'd be cool if they made more parts like that, so we could eventually buy an M3 for a price of Accent

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
i never knew that, sweet

·
Registered
11,522 Posts
Today is a GREAT day! I found a MAF here in Korea for 125,000 won (about $110), brand new from Hyundai.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts