·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to have DSC off at all times?

·
TWC Alumni
1,809 Posts
I never understood why anyone would want to turn off their dsc during normal driving :huh:

You hear so many people losing control of their cars wrapping it around a pole.

·
Mooove, get out the way!
1,115 Posts
I use to have an 87 and 88 Mustang GT, and a 91 Trans AM, none of those had any type of DSC and all of them had more torque than a 330. It wasn't a problem driving any of them, so a 330 shouldn't be a problem either.

Also, if a person can lose control and rap there car around a pole during notmal driving, maybe they shouldn't be driving at all.

·
Registered
160 Posts
the thing with DSC is that its easy to turn off when you don't want it, but you'll never be able to turn it on in time when you actually do need it.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
5-6 years ago nocar had DSC and people drove just fine. DSC is just a added security to cover small driving mistakes. DSC wont help for BIG driving mistakes.

If people say they crash their BMW cuz DSC was off, it means that they did something so stupid even a DSC wldnt help. It is not because DSC was off, it is because they drove like an idiot.

I highly recommend attending a AUTOX and see how you do, with or w/o DSC.

Once you know how easy to spin out your car doing 30mph WITH DSC, you wont be so confident in your car doing fast turns. That will make you a safer driver.

Hell I tought I was a good driver untill I did Autox, now I know things I used to do on street was pretty dam close to losing contol of the car. All that 50/50 ratio, drivers car & DSC makes you think your car handles turns 10 times better then any other car, but it DOES NOT.

·
TWC Alumni
1,809 Posts
Our cars are comes with new technology...why not use it? Next thing people will be pulling out their ABS fuses to turn off that feature too since cars back in the day didn't have it.

Guess my take on this is that you can never have too many safety features on your car to prevent yourself (and others) from getting injured or worse being killed in a car accident.

my .02

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I never hit anything with my car in 10 years (no accidents other than getting rammed in the ass 2ce on a red light by drivers falling a sleep). And I drive close to 40K miles a year.

Here is my RULES ON SAFE DRIVING.
1. Always assume every other driver on the road is STEVE WONDER on sleeping pills. (Blind & out of it) Expect the unexpected like people driving through red lights & stop signs

2. AVOID Driving behind a SUV or a TRUCK(especially on a highway) which will block you from seeing whats is ahead.

3. Tied to step#2. Always watch 2 or 3 car ahead of you, not just the car in front. Car in front might be related to Step#1 and might not brake

4. Dry contitions 10-15mph over speed limit is OK, Wet 5mph . Highway cops generally dont care about +10mph but surely stop +20mph in NJ upto 74mph is up to their decision, over 80 they have to stop you by law. PLUS fines almost double for +20

5. RearView mirror shows rear, so technically side mirrors should show SIDES(my opininion) So my side mirrors are set to show the blind spots only and will NOT show behind my car, thats what rearview mirror is for. I find this very usefull on highways while changing lanes. Many people adjust side mirrors to show rear of the car while their rearmirror is showing em the same thing. This saved my ass so many times driving at nigh & tired. You tend to be less carefull but pair of head lights in my side mirror alerts me to stop changin lanes

5. You will never know when your car will lose control unless you do it on purpose ahead of time. Dont just assume the threshold of your car and taking turns too fast (do it in a AUTOX, it will look cool for spectators)

6. Red lights and sudden stops always WATCH YOUR BACK. you never know what the person behind you will do. This saved my ass as well. Turnpike exit was jammed for a mile on the right hand lane. I stopped on the right lane and saw an 18wheeler 80pmh coming behind me, not slowing down. I started honking Last second I gunned the engine and pulled to emergeny lane. Truck driver wasnt watching the road and didnt react quickly enough to change his lane or slow down. He was inch away from me while doing emergency lane change at 80mph while I was on the shoulder. If I wasnt watching my rear after a stop I wouldnt be writing this message right now.

Feel Free to add other things

·
needs a new sig...
4,820 Posts
gokcer said:

I highly recommend attending a AUTOX and see how you do, with or w/o DSC.

Once you know how easy to spin out your car doing 30mph WITH DSC, you wont be so confident in your car doing fast turns. That will make you a safer driver.

I had a chance to test this in a closed environment on a 300 ft wet skid pad in someone elses car...i had alot of toruble spining the car with DSC on i had to be going over 50 MPH in the WET to bring the tail around and spin the car out..with DSC off it happens at 20 mph

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,376 Posts
I drove Mustang for two years that no stability control and more torque (obviously) than a 330. It had something labled "traction control" which apparently did nothing, other than make noise and cause the rear tires to skip when it was wet out. I was easily able to induce spins and oversteer with TC both on and off. DSC, on the other hand, does not allow for this.

Honestly, I would probably do just the same with DSC on or off. I leave it on (because it is that extra margin of safety), but because I drove a RWD car with no stability control whatsoever and really bad tires, I am used to being cautious in the rain and gently correcting where necessary. At an autox, I experimented with DSC and found that my car handled better and more predictably (predictably to me, at least, considering what I drove for two years) with it OFF rather than with it on .

·
Slow in, slower out
4,661 Posts
Some insurance industry organization studied accident rates for cars with and without ABS. They found that accident rates did not change for cars with ABS and concluded that driving styles changed when drivers had cars with ABS. They got more aggressive because of the perceived safety factor and canceled out the benefits of ABS.

I'm sure that the same will be true about electronic traction and stability systems.

Ed

·
Registered
105 Posts
It seems that in reading the section in the owner's manual that explains the function of DSC, it stated something along the order of

"Driving a DSC-equipped car is not an excuse to drive like an idiot."

Although that's been paraphrased, IIRC, the actual quote is written in such a way that the meaning is obviously the same.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Why would it harm the car? :dunno:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I usually turn the DSC off when I get in. However, this is not my daily driver, and I enjoy spirited driving when I'm in it. If the weather is not ideal I wouldn't turn it off.

·
Slow in, slower out
4,661 Posts
BOPOH330ci said:
Is it ok to have DSC off at all times?
Since no one actually answered your question (including me and my smart-ass comment)...

No, driving with the DSC off for a minute or a year will not do any mechanical or electrical damage to your car.

Ed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: Re: driving with DSC-off,any harm to the car?

teamdfl said:

Since no one actually answered your question (including me and my smart-ass comment)...

Ed
Oh, yeah..................good point! ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Re: driving with DSC-off,any harm to the car?

teamdfl said:

No, driving with the DSC off for a minute or a year will not do any mechanical or electrical damage to your car.

Ed
Thank you.That answered my question.
Reason for asking? Heard from somebody that it can do some damage to some electrical components in the car, no details. Just wanted to make sure.

·
Mooove, get out the way!
1,115 Posts
It will make your yellow DSC and brake light bulbs blow out faster since they would be on all the time. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts