BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here's my situation:

My back passenger tire has a slow leak in it. The tread was down and needed to be replaced anyway, but....

My back driver side tire has plenty of tread still left on it. It's a little over a year old.

So, I'm considering putting my full spare on the back passenger side and drive on it until I need to replace both back tires at the same time. I was also going to try to get the leak fixed in the old tire and keep that as my spare.

Am I crazy in this idea? Is it ok to drive on the spare for that long? Does the spare do fine at freeway speeds?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I see no problem with it. are they the same type of tire?

·
Registered
177 Posts
The one the car came with. I'm quite sure it's a full size spare. The car is a 2000 323i Sedan.
Well then the spare tire is probably 9 years old..

Check the date on the tire itself, I wouldn't drive on it for long and would even consider replacing it if you have the $.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
100 Posts
making sure your spare tire is indeed safe enough to be driving on should be part of a yearly inspection...

there is no point in have a spare in the trunk if you don't know if its going to get you home or to the shop.

If the tire is 9 years old it might be flat and have cracks in the sidewalls from the heat and cold.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
A full size spare with a "normal" tire is ok for daily driving.

A donut with limited mileage use is ok for short period.

·
Registered
177 Posts
making sure your spare tire is indeed safe enough to be driving on should be part of a yearly inspection...

there is no point in have a spare in the trunk if you don't know if its going to get you home or to the shop.

If the tire is 9 years old it might be flat and have cracks in the sidewalls from the heat and cold.
Even if it's visually "OK" it still is not safe to drive on being that old.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts