E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Writing from my iPhone so excuse brevity and my lack of extensive pre-post searching, but could use some ideas it's really hot!

Last night - HVAC operates 100% normally as always. A couple weeks ago I topped off the r-134a (calibrated to correct amount with some serious effort, but - who knows?), maybe unrelated just wanted to mention.

Very warm day, my car was parked in direct sun, I start it and IHKA display looks normal, on auto, a/c illuminated, but no air anywhere, no fan noise, no compressor noise.

Few blocks later turned off car, restarted, still present. I can touch any button on the IHKA control head and it acts normally (lights up, moves the fan, etc) but absolutely no air at any temperate is moving nor do I hear fans, etc. nothing has changed (that I've done intentionally) between last night and today.

Ideas? Frustrating, weird, and my E is so not temperamental like this usually!

Thx!

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,653 Posts
No fan is often fsr...could be fuse...not often the blower motor itself.

But, it could have something to do with the charge you did. Not sure how you calibrated the right amount, Ryan...as our spec is by weight...though maybe you found the pressure required and matched that?

I'd try the fsr if fuse is okay...but I'd also consider spending the $75 and getting a real machine hooked onto your system to verify that you've got the proper amount of 134a in there...it's a very exacting amount mine needs...1.86 plus or minus .05 lbs. I'm sure there's some wiggle room, but not a lot.

Still, sounds like fsr.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Still out and about but just checked what appeared to be all relevant fuses (assuming FSR is within other a/c or heater labeled fuses).

How do I go about testing/verifying my FSR when I get home? Actually don't even answer, I'm sure I can quickly find the answer by searching the forum.

@Dmax - my refrigerant level was calibrated using an ancient semi-retarded system of weights and measures. I will get it verified this week and be glad to share my technique should it turn out to have been accurate. If not, it will be buried like other great monuments of engineering such as the hidenberg.

PS - $79 for an a/c evac and recharge is what I last paid in 1999! Either your town is hustling in bootleg freon or I'm getting gouged at the local rate of around $139.

Thx guys!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dmax - one thing, let me play devils advocate. Say I totally trashed my a-c compressor over the course of the last few weeks, shouldn't I be able to get vents or heater to work? Just brainstorming. Thx guys!

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,653 Posts
^that's true. Your not blowing is probably not from your charging...just that it's a sensitive system...too much undercharge, the compressor stays on too long...too much over, it cycles too often--from what I understand.

My prices might also be a reflection on the fact that my shop is owned by a good friend and doesn't have a lot of marble and glass!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^that's true. Your not blowing is probably not from your charging...just that it's a sensitive system...too much undercharge, the compressor stays on too long...too much over, it cycles too often--from what I understand.

My prices might also be a reflection on the fact that my shop is owned by a good friend and doesn't have a lot of marble and glass!
I like the waiting room at my independent auto repair shops like I like my corporate attorneys - lots of Italian marble and Corinthian leather. If I can't smell nubile calf skin when i open the door, I don't walk - I run out.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm thinking FSR and coincidental, albeit interesting.
Just looking over the FSR R&R DIYs, and maybe. . .not that coincidental.

One thing I neglected to mention was that I took a large sledgehammer to my under dash area the other day to free a stuck twix bar.

No but seriously - 2 weeks ago I decided to do some spring cleaning on my a/c system, and removed the trim by the glovebox and under the dash there so I could get at the evaporator under the dash. Then I sprayed two bottles of coil cleaner in it, lots of junk leaked out, then I ran lysol through the system. Well in doing all that, you take out the FSR for awhile, then put it back in, and I remember thinking - man, does this thing stay in just by tension and not with a screw? Because - I forget without looking at it (maybe I'll post pic tomorrow) but it seemed like something wasn't quite perfect with how it was sitting.

So ya - looks like it's either loose or dead.

Thanks everyone who chimed in, it is comforting to know that even when you just have your phone and something crazy happens that you can post up a question and several great suggestions will come in.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ordered an FSR last night (since I can return it no prob, I fugue it's be good to have one en route).

Right now, about 24hrs from the start of this weirdness I start up my car today for the 1st time and HVAC fires right up, no hesitation no nothing. My fan can work at full blast and I'm getting an a/c vent temp of 42.0* F which is within 2% of normal.

Weird!

·
Registered
559 Posts
I think I read another thread earlier where the FSR goes on its way out causing intermintent operation.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,653 Posts
It should have a screw or two to attach it I'm pretty sure...I'm looking at realoem...and brb.

But, that could be the whole deal. You loosened it...not the first time someone was there and didn't replace screws because there weren't any there. Anyway, we'll see if my guess is right. I know I've done one on the e36 and in some other cars...haven't done mine yet.

So, couldn't find it on realoem, Ryan, but found it in Bentley. Says to remove 3 screws to remove resistor pack.

See if you can figure out what size they are...a good parts guy could help you. Might be listed in the 'housing compartment' breakdown...or maybe a diy references it.

I think you had a loose part. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It should have a screw or two to attach it I'm pretty sure...I'm looking at realoem...and brb.

But, that could be the whole deal. You loosened it...not the first time someone was there and didn't replace screws because there weren't any there. Anyway, we'll see if my guess is right. I know I've done one on the e36 and in some other cars...haven't done mine yet.

So, couldn't find it on realoem, Ryan, but found it in Bentley. Says to remove 3 screws to remove resistor pack.

See if you can figure out what size they are...a good parts guy could help you. Might be listed in the 'housing compartment' breakdown...or maybe a diy references it.

I think you had a loose part. Fingers crossed!
I'm having a flashback of being in the passenger foot well, hour 2.5 (1st timer) being on the home stretch of buttoning things back together and staring at the FSR with the same confusion that I read ikea instructions because the number of screws I had, and the number of places I could put them into, along with the orientation of other stuff just wasn't adding up. And I couldn't find a diagram or photo anywhere that reflected the angle I needed at the point in time of re-assembly I was at. Dumb me deviated from my normal habit of photographing the steps involved in any disassembly.

And I hate when stupid service manuals just say stuff like "now, reassemble.". And what would some color pictures cost? Ya Bentley - I'm talking to you.

I might have to steal an e46 for a few hrs so I have a template to work from.

·
/// Limitless
2,920 Posts
I'm having a flashback of being in the passenger foot well, hour 2.5 (1st timer) being on the home stretch of buttoning things back together and staring at the FSR with the same confusion that I read ikea instructions because the number of screws I had, and the number of places I could put them into, along with the orientation of other stuff just wasn't adding up. And I couldn't find a diagram or photo anywhere that reflected the angle I needed at the point in time of re-assembly I was at. Dumb me deviated from my normal habit of photographing the steps involved in any disassembly.

And I hate when stupid service manuals just say stuff like "now, reassemble.". And what would some color pictures cost? Ya Bentley - I'm talking to you.

I might have to steal an e46 for a few hrs so I have a template to work from.
Take a look in the DIY forum (search). There was a pretty good write up for FSR replacement IIRC.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.