E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought an 04 330xi without really looking at it, drove it home and thought the reverberation was just the guibo as i had to replace that in my 325i before. Come to find out its the center support bearing. So had to cut the exhaust off after the manifold, someone else had previously done this because there was a sleeve welded on, and a newish guibo. Started marking everything up and taking out the bolts from the guibo and rear end. Now im stuck. My bentley manual says to undo the threaded clamping sleave with a special tool i don't have so i used channel locks but i cant get it to turn, and i cant get the driveshaft to seperate from the rear end. Used plenty of penetrants, tap at the seems with hammer and chisel, pried from under rear u joint in the two slots, dont know what to do or where it's safe to use heat.
------update
Got it off thanks to Freeze-Off , new favorite product

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The paint marks i had to line up the shafts got eaten away by the pb blaster i was spraying, since I'm a regular Einstein and don't think of these things, would i be best at this point with the bottom of the bearing stuck and no aligning marks to just get a new driveshaft.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Used angle grinder to flatten out the bearing sleeve then a cut off wheel to get it off, i went a little too far, hoping its still fine. Had a few people tell me I'll be fine just putting the shaft back together cause theyre balanced out to 0, don't know how true this information is though.

Attachments

·
Registered
915 Posts
If you get the bearing off you might be able to figure out where it was with the pictures you took. Otherwise get a used driveshaft.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Possible that a transmission or engine mount was messed up before i got the car and that's what caused the bushing around the bearing to get destroyed?
Could it be because i still have the front end on the ground?
I don't want to touch anything else until this is figured out but am at a loss.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Taking everything apart and reassembling multiple times I've found that it doesn't go crooked until bolted tight to the front with the guibo, took it off and slid the joints together to see what it looks like, maybe I'm making something out of nothing but things weren't straight to me

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts