E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about two day ago i started to feel and hear a loud vibration when i would let off the gas and start to slow down with out using my brakes, then today i was driving and heard a loud clunking noise, i slowed down and then it started vibrating really bad and clunking , so i had it towed. I took off the exhaust and heat shield, the center bushing and the flex disc looks fine their is not really any play in the driveshaft. Any suggestions?
Plz go easy on me im a rookie and i know i suck at english just to get that out of the way.

·
Administrator
2004 330Ci 115k miles
16,732 Posts
So about two day ago i started to feel and hear a loud vibration when i would let off the gas and start to slow down with out using my brakes, then today i was driving and heard a loud clunking noise, i slowed down and then it started vibrating really bad and clunking , so i had it towed. I took off the exhaust and heat shield, the center bushing and the flex disc looks fine their is not really any play in the driveshaft. Any suggestions?
Plz go easy on me im a rookie and i know i suck at english just to get that out of the way.
I would at least isolate where the problem is before buying parts. You can put the car up on jack stands, support the rear trailing arms so they’re not hanging down (suspension partially loaded), and reproduce the problem. You’ll be able to see and hear where the vibration is coming from. Make sure you do this safely and with a helper.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
If you do have to remove the drive shaft make sure you mark the position with the guibo holes. It MUST go back the same way.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,994 Posts
Yeah, unlikely you need a new driveshaft. Flex disk and csb are most likely sources of your issue...and you might not see the damage by just looking at them. At least remove guibo and have a look...but you're so close, you probably should do the csb if it's not been done...just mind the details.

If the flex disk goes on one hole 'off,' it's off by a mile and you'll be replacing the csb in short order.

But, as Bali said, don't just throw parts at it too soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replys guys, i put it in drive while on jack stands and the noise was coming from the cv axel then it snapped and stopped spining. What do you guys think?
Do you guys think replacing that will fix my problem?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
That's where I'd start!

edit, wait, did the other side then start spinning faster?
traction control doesn't like it when the rear wheels spin at different speeds,
and can start doing odd things. Which is normal...

With the car off, take a close look at the CV- they're very tough,
and if they've broken internally, you'll see other evidence.

hth

t

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's where I'd start!

edit, wait, did the other side then start spinning faster?
traction control doesn't like it when the rear wheels spin at different speeds,
and can start doing odd things. Which is normal...

With the car off, take a close look at the CV- they're very tough,
and if they've broken internally, you'll see other evidence.

hth

t

the were spinning at the same speed, my traction control is disabled
but when i took the rotor off the side that was clunking metal pieces came out but the hub looks ok.

·
Super Moderator
2004 325i automagic
3,489 Posts
the were spinning at the same speed, my traction control is disabled
but when i took the rotor off the side that was clunking metal pieces came out but the hub looks ok.
So , it was the outside cv joint that broke (?) .... pictures at this point will be waay easier to figure out what's going on.

·
Premium Member
28,908 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2004 325i automagic
3,489 Posts
pics, last one is the pieces that came out when i took the rotor off
Looks like the ebrake fell apart and interfered with spinning rotor/hub. I saw a similar thing on a friend's e30 a few years ago where what we thought was a bad rear bearing was just a loose brake shoe moving around.

Btw, good thing it didn't lock up while driving it home ...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts