BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 325xi Sedan has a problem with the Front Drivers Side Brakes that has my local repair guy stumped. Only on the front left, the brakes are on a little bit causing the rotor to heat up a lot and making a burning brake smell after a drive of a couple miles. When I stopped I can kick up snow on that wheel and it burns and sizzles, but the other wheels are merely warm. Oddly it doesn't pull to the side, but I can feel that it doesn't coast as long as it used to. The repair guy suggested changing out the caliper, but with little idea if that would fix it. Has anyone seen this before? Thanks.

·
Registered
762 Posts
It could be a sticking/non-sliding caliper, or a bad rubber brake hose. The rubber hoses deteriorate from the inside and may be clogged & not allowing proper movement of brake fluid, keeping pressure in that caliper. It's a cheap thing to check/replace.

·
Registered
87 Posts
sounds like a stuck piston; its not retracting. Could have air in the lines as well. Install a new caliper, should be about 40$ from O'Reillys auto parts, and bleed the brakes.

·
// Quandt AG (Retired) //
3,696 Posts
I had to change a caliper recently on my kids 325Xi - even after buying a caliper rebuild kit and lubing the pins it still kept sticking. Everytime she drove home I could throw snow on it and make steam (just the front pass rotor) - change the caliper with a reman one for slightly more than the kit - that's what I will do next time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts