BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
On the Lamb
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok its happened twice now!! I am about to get out I pull the door handle it clicks but the door won't budge. I even slammed my side into trying to get it out. I pull the handle again and its just loose...no tension..... So I have to roll down the window and open the door from the outside (I also tried unlocking and locking the doors, restarting the car) and get myself out. I'll then close the door and try again from the inside and it will work fine?!?!!! WTF who has had this happen??

·
Registered
256 Posts
It happened to me for a few times as well ... I played with the door switch in car and the key remote and it worked fine at last ...

·
Registered
98 Posts
It might be the vapor sensor. If it rains or if its really moist out there might be water leaking into the door jam area and messing it up. Im in FL and when it rained I couldnt open the driver door from the inside OR the outside, so youre lucky. I had to crawl through the passenger side door. Than all of a sudden it stopped doing it, so I dont know for sure what it was.

·
On the Lamb
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm matt it might be that.....I just my hardtop on so this the first time I have had a solid top on the car since the day I picked it up

·
Registered
142 Posts
Are your doors locked when you are having problems with this?
I know that if my doors are locked I have to pull the inside handle TWICE to unlock the door. If you just pull once it will not unlock the door.

check it out...

·
On the Lamb
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah its not that I pull it multiple times like 5 or more!!! I know about the pull once to unlock pull again to open.....after I pull the handle after the initial pull its loose....no tension what so ever....like its not connected to anything

·
1,087 Posts
ok look you're still under warranty right? i have almost the same problem as you, and if the problem isnt the same one im sure its coming from the same place. ( might be the central locking system) a lot of people have it.

tell the dealer if your car goes in a canal in an emergency you wont be able to get out. WTF, this is a serious issue.

i have been able to get the dealer to find the problem. maybe you'll have better luck. let us know-plz

heres my old thread see if anything sounds familiar or if it can help you in any way.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113239&highlight=door+locks+crazy

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You can fix this yourself, I think. Check this link out to see how to remove your interior trim. You'll only need to remove the door panel with the busted handle. Now, if you look at the back of the door panel next to where your handle is on the other side, you'll see how the handle works. It pulls a wire that is connected to the mechanism that unlocks and opens the door. That wire and it's connector have somehow become dislodged. Simply reconnect it and you should be fixed.

·
On the Lamb
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your help!!!!! :D

·
BMW NA Customer Relations
111 Posts
I’m with BMW of North America, LLC. I’m so sorry to read about this problem with your door. If you and your BMW center need our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117, and mention Reference #1-121347172 so that we can help you more efficiently. If you prefer, you can email us through the Owners’ Circle at www.bmwusa.com.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've been having the same problems too. But on the passenger front side. I usually have to turn off the engine and use the remote key to full unlock the door. It seems like the door opens when you pull the handle... but the lock does not pop up.

·
On the Lamb
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BMW NA Customer Relations said:
I’m with BMW of North America, LLC. I’m so sorry to read about this problem with your door. If you and your BMW center need our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117, and mention Reference #1-121347172 so that we can help you more efficiently. If you prefer, you can email us through the Owners’ Circle at www.bmwusa.com.

Thanks for your help hopefully this will get resolved when I go in for my oil change.

btw: I figured out how to recreate it. I do not have autolock feature active on my car already. So if I manually lock the doors using the button on the door or push the center console button and then try opening the door that is when it jams.

When door is locked:

One pull unlocks door (or at least the little nubby pops up)

Second and however many pulls after does nothing no tension and the door is jammed.

btw BMW NA Customers relations...since you do check this site I suggest you also check

M3forum.com E46 forum

and

M3ofurm.com E36 Forum

1 - 13 of 13 Posts