BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 2000 wagon. The main trouble I have is:
The drivers door will lock but not unlock with the remote or the key. I haven't pulled off the door panel yet, but I am looking for a heads up...
The other 3 door work fine.
Anyone have the diagram for removing the door panel?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would rule out GM5 since the OP notes that the door will not unlock manually using the key. I could be wrong on that, so check the symptoms on http://bmwgm5.com/. My thinking is that the gm5 only works in conjunction with the center console lock/unlock button and the key remote. However, by inserting the key into the lock and turning manually, you're just operating something mechanical.

I would lean more towards door/lock actuator. Removing the door panel is easy to gain access and possibly replace this. Instructions are on this site as well as http://bmwgm5.com/.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I have the same problem... I know mine's not the actuator... If you're interested in an actuator I have one. PM if interested.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Search "key reprogramming" or something like that

It's some steps with locking/unlocking the car, etc. My friend had that problem and it fixed it
Would this issue rear it's head for both keys or just one? Thinking if it's just the 1 then perhaps this is a fix, but if it's both (as in my case) and I've already tried other actuators then it's the GM5.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just bought a 2000 wagon. The main trouble I have is:
The drivers door will lock but not unlock with the remote or the key. I haven't pulled off the door panel yet, but I am looking for a heads up...
The other 3 door work fine.
Anyone have the diagram for removing the door panel?
Did you ever determine the cause of the key not unlocking issue? I too have a "locks fine manually, but - despite button rising - won't unlock" situation. Seems it would have to be purely a mechanical linkage issue between cylinder and latch assembly? Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Further observations - at least on my 02-E46: The cylinder must be good if it locks, right? and the GM5/electronics/alarm all seem working on all but the non-un-lockable drivers door (save for it WILL unlock from the inside latch handle).

It seems like linkage yet the button goes down and up with the lock/unlock sequence...it just does not *actually* unlock with the key. I'll tear into the door panel, but would love past experience leveraging!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem that the door will lock and will unlock sometimes and will not sometimes. I can hear the actuator making the sound when I push the button but it does not unlock. Also when using the key to unlock it can take several times before it unlocks the door. I installed a new actuator on the drivers door but it does the same thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts