BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2002 330 ci convertible. The motorized driver side seat back/forward function stopped working years ago. All the other motorized seat functions still work. When I press the button to move it forward or back, I hear clicking sound (it appears to come distinctly from right side of seat), but seat doesn't budge.

My problem is that the seat is stuck in the back position, so the rear rail screws cannot be accessed in order to remove it. Also, because the seat is all the way back, accessing the motors under the seat (from the rear) is almost impossible.

I have been to two repair shops who have given me options like disassembling seat or cutting rails -- all exorbitantly expensive operations.

I have done a number of Google searches for a resolution to this. While I have found several users who have resolved problem by getting motor to work (jiggle wires, replace, etc..) none have explained how they got to the motor when the seat was all the way back.

I have attached photos of what I can see underneath the seat. I am only able to see from the rear because I can get the camera down in that small space -- not my head. But, if I knew what I was looking for, I perhaps, with a mirror, could get my hands down there and monkey around.

My point for posting all of this is to ask if *anyone* has *any* ideas on how to approach resolving this. Is it possible to get to the motor, given the circumstances, from the front? If so, what needs to be removed? If not, what can I try, considering I am only able to get no more than my hands in there?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

·
Sofa-king-what
1,945 Posts
if it clicks means that problem in not on wiring,
i had the same problem of you,
i solved by spraying a lot of Wd40 and then by hitting the motor with a small hammer..
motor brushes were stuck

before doing anything try to remove the motor, TIS solution is only valid if the seat is stucked into the rails

·
Registered
444 Posts
In the same boat...I have been able to remove the rear 2 motor but cannot get drive motor to move it forward or back. Curious to see what your final remedy will be. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the same boat...I have been able to remove the rear 2 motor but cannot get drive motor to move it forward or back. Curious to see what your final remedy will be. Good luck.
I took all the info I have gathered so far and went to a professional mechanic. From RealOEM.com, we know which motor it is. He did some diagnoses and believes it is the motor failing to turn (I think, based on other comments, it could alternately be the seat drive gear). But, we gotta start somewhere. So, the next step is to get a working motor. If it is, in fact the motor, and he can somehow get the old one out and the new one in enough to connect to gears (a la what Han did here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5h-f7IrMWE ), then we should be able to move the seat forward, and thus reveal the 2 back rail screws.

At least, that's the plan moving forward.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts