BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear friends,

I successfully used the 3-piece easy-out set they sell at O'Reilly's or wherever to remove 3 stripped screws on my transmission cover of my 2003 M46. My stupidity led me however to over-torque one of the screws putting the transmission cover back on and (you guessed it) snapped the screw off. So, having had recent, wonderful success removing 3 stripped transmission screws, I promptly put the right size up the hole after using the other end to "hollow out" a space for the threaded part. I forgot to use penetrating oil. I used my battery-powered, portable hammer drill with the easy-out attached. It rattled for a moment and then . . . SNAP! The easy out is now broken off and although I thought I could drill it out, sadly there is NOTHING that Home Depot sells that will drill the hardened easy-out. In despair I used silicone gasket, thinking it might cover the hole where the screw is broken off, but it now leaks a few drops everytime I stop and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Sincerely,

Kevin your brother in BMW

·
Registered
724 Posts
can you have someone weld a nut to the easy out and try to ratchet it out? How much is showing? Try a larger easy out?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I was trying to drill it I filed it flat, so there's nothing there to weld to, unless you weld the center.

Thank you for responding to my dilemma!

Kevin

·
Registered
724 Posts
Also try a cut off wheel to get the middle of the stud and make a groove. big flat head screwdriver and some pressure. Thats worked in the past for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts