E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wohnhafter perverser Mensch
3,238 Posts
i never did but my friend drifted my 328 when i still had it. it was nuts. Afterwards i notice the tread was seperating from the sidewall on my tires.

·
needs a new sig...
3,408 Posts
it isnt really that hard to do..i used to do it in my 240 in parking lots...practicing drifting and powersliding..i have done it in my 330 in an open lot never on the road..practice makes perfect...IMO powersliding looks better and is funner..lol...remember..never on the streets..only in emtpy lots!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah... but precision drifting around the corner of a street is awesome.. everyone stands in awe.. but i guess its too dangerous

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
good guess :thumbup:

·
P.I.M.P.
2,369 Posts
From driftworks.org slow site, but good.

Learning to control a clutched drift first will enable you to smoothly power sideways away from a provoked handbrake drift. Handbrake drifts are often a little brutal for plain 90 degree corners (unless you're going for high speed kamikaze drift), and are more useful for hairpin turns, etc.

This drift was accomplished using the clutch. Approach the corner at a *moderate* speed, start turning in towards the apex and kick the clutch pedal while applying plenty of throttle.
Turning hard in towards the apex is transferring all the weight of the vehicle onto the outside tyres. Applying a considerable amount of throttle is shifting the weight onto the rear tyres. By suddenly disengaging and then re-engaging the drivetrain (knifing the clutch) you sharply unsettle this weight transfer, and the lateral traction offered by the rear tyres is quickly overcome.
With some practise this will become the easiest and most predictable method of drifting. Turning away from the corner before throwing the car in towards the apex (called a Scandinavian Flick in Rally circles) effectively increases the drift radius of the corner, allowing you to start the sideways movement earlier.

·
has 1 FLY Ci
1,849 Posts
lol someone was trying to drift a convertible step 330ci at the drift show a few weeks ago. he was stepping on it but the @ss didnt break loose. it was a rental tho, i would do that too with a rental

·
Registered
874 Posts
Drifting is so hard on the car...hard on brakes, clutch, motor, chassis, tires...everything...I don't like beating my car

·
Registered
314 Posts
i was at Drift showoff 2 weeks ago. There saw 2 e46s on the track and one m3. The m3 did not do so well. My friend who was a coach for him said that that car was way too grippy, and not set up properly for drifting. One of the other two e46 could not really drift. The other guy had some control in his drifting. Pretty impressed, but nothing compared to performace the japanese drifters put on. If you really want to drift, get some really ****ty tires for your rear and put falkin azenis on the front. That should get your rear end out easier. Practice makes perfect (only in empty lots that is)

·
Law Enforcer
…’22 992 Carrera C2S arriving soon!!!
2,372 Posts
yafool said:
i was at Drift showoff 2 weeks ago. There saw 2 e46s on the track and one m3. The m3 did not do so well. My friend who was a coach for him said that that car was way too grippy, and not set up properly for drifting. One of the other two e46 could not really drift. The other guy had some control in his drifting. Pretty impressed, but nothing compared to performace the japanese drifters put on. If you really want to drift, get some really ****ty tires for your rear and put falkin azenis on the front. That should get your rear end out easier. Practice makes perfect (only in empty lots that is)
The reason (besides the overall skill and dominance of the Jap Drivers) that the Jap cars do so well is because they are turbocharged. It's far easier to break the rear end loose as boost kicks in. I can't drift my M3 as well as I can my friends Silvia. The powerband is totally different, and of course his car is set up for the least amount of traction. It's so bad, in fact, that just shifting to aggressively during straightline acceleration will cause the rear end to slide out about a foot & 1/2. Definitely not for daily driving!!!! After one day commuting in that thing from Ontario to Irvine/Lake Forest, I couldn't wait to jump back into my M3.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Hell, ya! I just went up to a local ski resort last week. Fresh snow, empty parking lot, what more could I ask for? Couldn't have hurt my tires that much too. ;) I might even say it was more fun than auto-x'ing, but then again the competitive nature of auto-x'ing makes me tense and not enjoy it as much. I would post the video but I don't have a place to host it, sorry...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts