E46 Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
yes it is

it involves motors, speed, skill and a clock. What else do you want?!? thats like saying bowling is not a sport

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not based on any form of timing and is completely subjective...its a waste of tires and resources. Its not a form of motorsports.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Its not based on any form of timing and is completely subjective...its a waste of tires and resources. Its not a form of motorsports.
subjective!?!? So every sport with judges is not a sport?!?!?

no timing?!?!? They run against a clock as well as each other. Do you know what drifting is?!?

I guess driving in a cicrle for 400 miles is more of a sport???? :hmm:

·
Registered
19,147 Posts
Then don't watch it :dunno:

One could say golf isn't a sport.

Or gymnastics isn't a sport, based on your previous statement, yet it's in the Olympics.

Dumb thread.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Well, it does involve a lot of driver's skill, but a lot of "art" is involved with it, along with subjective scoring.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, NASCAR is an actual motorsport...they are actually racing each other, not try to just slide as close to a cement barrier as they can while creating smoke. Golf? You are actually competing against another group of people in a score-based competition that is only based on your own skill and ability. In drifting (and I agree gymnastics is not a sport), you are simply trying to impress a bunch of judges to gain points...its ridiculous and definitely not a motorsport.

·
///Swinny
16,262 Posts
Yes, NASCAR is an actual motorsport...they are actually racing each other, not try to just slide as close to a cement barrier as they can while creating smoke. Golf? You are actually competing against another group of people in a score-based competition that is only based on your own skill and ability. In drifting (and I agree gymnastics is not a sport), you are simply trying to impress a bunch of judges to gain points...its ridiculous and definitely not a motorsport.
You actually have to be sideways at certain points and certain speeds. Theres alot more to drifting than looking pretty. You need to read the rules and regulations before you bash a sport.Also they do have drift races where they pass each other to see who can do it the fastest time :thumbsup:

·
Apple Jews
740 Posts
dude.

the best definition of drifting i've heard is:

being able to control a car, while being at an absolute loss of control
you obviously know nothing about drifting, controlling a car, or even probabaly being able to manage in the rain. when you can do that, lemme know. until then.. have fun watching the honky races drive in circles.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you obviously know nothing about drifting, controlling a car, or even probabaly being able to manage in the rain. when you can do that, lemme know. until then.. have fun watching the honky races drive in circles.
yup, resort to personal attacks...that's smart...

You don't know how foolish you look...

·
Apple Jews
740 Posts

how foolish i look?
you called something thousands of people support every year a non-sport, without any reason or justification. :hmm:

·
Registered
359 Posts

LOL you're digging a hole you'll soon be unable to get yourself out of. and as far as i'm concerned, starting a thread that asks us to discuss drift's validity as a motorsport, all while stubbornly insisting that it isn't, is just as foolish as any personal attacks being thrown around anyway. back on topic...while every series of motorsport has its own unique set of rules and regulations, only a few simple criteria must be met in order for a series to be considered a motorsport - professional (paid) drivers/teams, and a point system to determine winners and runners up.

it would be one thing if the title of your thread read "drift is not cool" or something of the like, b/c at least that's a debatable topic (i.e. opinions are subjective)...and heck, i'll be the first to admit that i don't find drift interesting in the least. however, the fact that drift is a motorsport is just that - a fact, not an opinion. i may not like drift. you may not like drift. you may think its the corniest thing in the world. you may go to bed pouting about how much you dislike drift and how you wish it never existed in the first place. but tomorrow when you wake up, drift will still be a motorsport whether you like it or not.

...drift's existence as a motorsport doesn't depend on whether people like it or not LOL...in fact, now that i've made it crystal clear that one's opinion regarding this topic has absolutely nothing to actually do with drift's existence as a motorsport in the first place, the title of your thread kinda makes you look a bit misinformed now...and as much as i may dislike drift as well, i at least respect it as a form of motorsport. after all, not all point earned in motorsport are based on crossing a finish line...

1 - 20 of 124 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.