BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to know what the best way for cornering is..
as i approach the corner, i brake and shift to 2nd with clutch depressed .. now question is, when do u start to release the clutch ? as you are taking the turn or before the turn ?

please help thanks

·
Registered
496 Posts
Basically you want to do ALL of your braking, shifting etc.. before loading the outside wheels- any releasing of the clutch, braking etc that you do while IN the corner will possibly un-weight the front/back balance and un-do your lateral grip..
That having been said- this all assumes you are on the traction threshold of the car, if you are just screwing around, try messing with the balance of the car in a corner- if really F$\ks you up- DSC will usually save your ass, so if you want a cold lesson in physics, turn the DSC off, find a safe place (without hard things to hit- like an empty lot with cones, or a track) and play around- This is also the best way to learn your car's limits.

Hope this helps-

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i should brake and downshift as i an taking the turn ?
ok.. i'll try that and see how it goes thanks...

all other comments are welcome... thanks

·
I've got what plants crave.
1,487 Posts
before anything else try here and here for proper instruction.

I highly recommend learning to heel-and-toe. Some people would disagree with the need for this technique with modern synchros, but personally i think it is very very helpful.

As you approach and brake for the corner you angle your foot so that it is vertical (not limp, with your toes pointed toward the gas pedal). When your foot begins to depress the brake, make sure only the left half of your foot (primarily the ball of your foot) is pressing on the brake.

With the right half of the same foot, attempt to roll your ankle and "blip" the throttle. By doing this, you match the engine speed to the road speed allowing for a smoother downshift. Obviously, keep in mind that you must depress the clutch and then re-engage it very quickly.

Try this with the car stationary. Just go out the drive way and practice the motion. It's very tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, it can be a very helpful driving technique.

But as I mentioned above, getting professional driving instruction is always a worthwhile investment:thumbup:

·
Registered
496 Posts
mc said:
getting professional driving instruction is always a worthwhile investment:thumbup:
ABSOLUTLEY- Sorry I did not mention this- That's where I learned- then attended several Porsche track days- & Skid schools- Your knowledge of how to drive a car will change like you will not believe when you get professional instruction- I know that you can take a intro course with BMW - Here in Canada they have courses in Montreal and Toronto several times a year- It's about $400 and well worth it if you have never learned how to really control a car!

·
Registered
24 Posts
As mentioned above -- do all your braking and shifting before you enter the corner -- you do not want to upset the chassy/suspension while you hit the apex. As you leave the apex and start to accelarate out of the apex your engine should be in the proper power band to get you the most power out of the corner.

Look into driving schools -- I like Skip Barber http://www.skipbarber.com/ . Laguna seca Raceway is on their schedule :thumbup:
Should be a group buy on driving school!!!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
i would always shift when i was in the turn.... thanks thxguy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts