E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To downshift, is it bad when u just slowly let go of your clutch after u downshifted or should u math the rpms before u switch.

I try to do that one "pedal move" where u push the break and then at the same time downshift and push the gas while pushing the break while switching so u break but then at the same time u downshift and match the rpms.

So what is better to do that, or to just downshift and let the rpms go up when u have downshifted.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I can't heal and toe that well... cause yeah i have a size 11.
So i just rev match and then let go of the clutch all the way out ( not slowly).

·
Registered
440 Posts
if you are racing, and want more power, just down shift and floor it! (if you don't have enough power on your current gear)

·
Registered
354 Posts
yeah ...i think that's call power shifting??!?! u just keep on letting your revs climb while u disengage the clutch -> down shift and by the time u engage the clutch, it will be at the right rpm.

·
Mod Squad
9,629 Posts
is it bad when u just slowly let go of your clutch after u downshifted
If you are trying to slow down, and you are doing this gradually, I don't think there's anything wrong with engine braking. Maybe if you were going 80 MPH or something, but I don't see it being a problem then. I guess it could wear down the transmission, but that $hit must take a long @ss time, cause I've got a '93 e36 in the drive way that's put up with engine braking it's whole life.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts