E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was on ebay looking around for parts being that I just bought my first bimmer. And I come across this auction for a Downing/Atlantic SC. Seemed to be an alright SC but I've always heard of the Dinan SC being used and not this brand. So any insight on this and also I want to clear out all the lights on my 325ci and my neighbor tells me to stay away from the cheap lights on ebay because the lights send bad signals or something to the computer and I'll end up getting warnings on my display without really having any problems. Any advise will be greatly appreciated and like I said I am a new owner and new to the site so.... you know the rest.

Scott

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
Yeah, didn't know about the 6 cyl chargers either. But I have a friend with a 318ti who had one in there and he loved it. Gave him no problems till he got too greedy, beefed up the boost and blew his engine.

-Ken

·
www.my330i.com
1,907 Posts
The DASC (Downing Atlanta Superchargers) are Roots based systems and can be found on 92-99 318s and some older small-engine Z3s I hear. They were also very popular in the Miata scene. I have never seen one on a 6-cylinder BMW.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
wut_it_do said:
Thanks!!!
make sure you are looking at the correct application.....

as for sc's i see no reason to stray from what has been proven again and again. you will find 3 or so companies who sell superchargers in the sponsor page.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
MarvelPhx said:
The DASC (Downing Atlanta Superchargers) are Roots based systems and can be found on 92-99 318s and some older small-engine Z3s I hear. They were also very popular in the Miata scene. I have never seen one on a 6-cylinder BMW.
i just read about a DaSC on a 318 in grassroots racing mag. it looks badass

120hp to 187 :thumbup: gotta love the tq curve too

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hello wut_it_do,

wut_it_do said:
Was on ebay looking around for parts being that I just bought my first bimmer. And I come across this auction for a Downing/Atlantic SC. Seemed to be an alright SC but I've always heard of the Dinan SC being used and not this brand. So any insight on this and also I want to clear out all the lights on my 325ci and my neighbor tells me to stay away from the cheap lights on ebay because the lights send bad signals or something to the computer and I'll end up getting warnings on my display without really having any problems. Any advise will be greatly appreciated and like I said I am a new owner and new to the site so.... you know the rest.

Scott
As many people have already said, Downing Atlanta is pretty big on 4cyl engines, especially with Miata and BMW E36.

As a person who knows Jim personally, he knows what he is doing, although he seems to be a little bit on a conservative side (I cannot blame him - he is making and selling the kit to be installed on various machines under various conditions. It's not like he can destroy his own engine and oh well.)

As a person who has Downing Atlanta Supercharger installed on the E36 318i (1.9L), the kit makes an effortless power. It transforms the car. As a stock kit, this makes close to 200hp (the first kits were over 200hp, but for reliability and many other reasons, the kit generates a little under 200hp). With other tuned components such as ECU, Lighter Pullies, Manifold, Exhaust, and so, E36 318i makes well over 200hp. And being a smaller, lighter, more nimble car, well-thought-out supercharged E36 318i drives faster than E46 330i on some tracks.

For 6 cyl. engines, I am not certain because I have not seen a Supercharger Kit from Downing Atlanta, nor heard of one.

Hope this helped.

Sincerely,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts