BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i was talkin to my friend and he was talkin about double clutching, i personally have no idea what the actual process of it is and what exactly wat it does....
But this is wat ive heard, it is supposed to put u at a higher RPM when u shift and to do this u have to
1. redline
2. then as u shift hold down the clutch and reving the engine while still holding the clutch
3. then shifting to the next gear
4. then to finally let off the clutch and get on the gas
is that how it is done????????????
Help me out please

·
'a certain moderator'
38,139 Posts
:rolleyes: :tsk: :rolleyes: another victim of the Fast and the Furious. is vin diesel really all that cool??

-brendan

·
Bavarian Motor Slave
1,535 Posts
not quite.

apperantly double clutching doesnt even matter anymore with the advanced synchros we have on our car.

I'm pretty sure double clutching had to do with rev mathcing and downshifting.

Its basically getting your eninge revolutions to match your drive shaft revolutions on a down shift...

...just push the accelerater while the clutch is disengaged (neutral) in the middle of your down shift so that your revs and drive shaft revolutions are the same.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,378 Posts
Double clutching is this:
Depress clutch.
Disengage gears.
Release Clutch.
Match revs (either by allowing them to fall, or by depressing the throttle.)
Depress clutch.
Shift into gear.
Release clutch.

This is excessively complicated for a car with synchromesh. Just rev match by blipping the throttle.

Frankly, I have no idea what you're talking about in the steps you gave. I certainly hope you're not talking about upshifting. When you upshift allow the revs to fall until they match the appropriate wheel speed. When you rev match a downshift, increase the revs until they match the wheel speed. Redline is IRRELEVANT to this process.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
1. redline
2. then as u shift hold down the clutch and reving the engine while still holding the clutch
3. then shifting to the next gear
4. then to finally let off the clutch and get on the gas
That is power shifting. When you don't do that, it is called "granny shifting".

Just rev it to redline, pull back on the shifter and forget about the clutch. Then rev match for downshifts, and you'll only need the clutch coming into first gear from a stand still :)

Chip-

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
ask ur friend if i can have his autograph for bein the stupidest person alive and listenin to fast and furious:tsk:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You can pull a car out of gear whilst accelerating?? I know u can change gears without letting up on the gas but i thought that still required the clutch....

·
Registered
155 Posts
I bin double clutchin' for 35 years my moma who was taught to drive by her truck driver daddy dowqnshifed like that whenever she drove a stick, I also used to shift my 70 Karman Ghia without the clutch on upshifts. Power shifting is stupid 'cause it breaks things and the dealer can tell (WARRANTY VOIDING).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts