BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys Double Clutch when downshifting?

I'm not talking about racetrack driving... just cruising around town or what not?

·
Registered
188 Posts
meh, it not nessary to do so, so i dont do it. all it does is rev match the gears in the transmission to that of what the engine will be in the lower gear, single clutching is enough for everyday driving.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just reading some european site and they were making fun of americans b/c we all single clutch... i wasn't sure if it was just me or all american drivers in general... anyways, i just wanted to get a general idea of how everyone else whipped their BMWs!!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
HI!

what is doubling clutching?:D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Doubling clutching is helpful when you are downshifting to pass someone on the road. It make the downshift smoother and the acceleration a little faster. However, on modern cars it really isn't needed. Thats the whole idea of synchromesh transmissions.

Now in a road racing environment I would definately employ some double clutching. But on the streets its really not that big a deal.

·
Help me Help you!
955 Posts
e46CI said:
I was just reading some european site and they were making fun of americans b/c we all single clutch... i wasn't sure if it was just me or all american drivers in general... anyways, i just wanted to get a general idea of how everyone else whipped their BMWs!!!
WTF the europeans have nothing better to do??
Well we laugh at them cuz they dont take showers, eat cheese all day and live off The government...maybe thats why they have so much time to drive and practice double clutching...

sorry didnt mean to offend anyone....too late anyways.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts