BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK down and dirty, here is my problem:

I just came back from Iraq, car was in storage for 7 months, all is well except for my keys. I can not get them to unlock the doors.

1. If I hold down the unlock button my windows WILL roll down.

2. If I use the central lock/unlock button in the console they WILL NOT unlock.

3. The trunk still unlocks with the remote.

4. The key WILL NOT unlock the doors. (it sounds like they want to but they don't).

5. I searched and got a "recycle key thread but it didn't do the trick for me.

6. Doors will not unlock from the inside door handles either.

7. I am furious right now about it

8. Happy 4th of July:banghead:

Please help! I have a '02 325i if it helps. Thank you

·
Registered
49 Posts
did you cap the drivers side door lock? If so then drill the cap and use a flatbed to turn the peace inside. sound like you need to replace the door actuator.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can open it when I use the key in the door, no cap. The remote locks the door but won't unlock. I don't think it is an acuator prob... hope not. Also the side markers flash as if the car did lock/unlock with the remote. WTF!! I am pissed....

·
Registered
797 Posts
Maybe the batteries in the keys are dead from not being run in the ignition...I'm not sure, but possibly running the car to charge them and then re-setting the keys could work.

????

·
Registered
68 Posts
in my other car, i had this problem. it was because the vaccumm pump was soaked. some how rain water got into vacuum pump housing and it was sitting in a puddle for a yr or so and slowly rusted to bits. The car would lock easier than unlock, but than sometimes neither. ...mayb its the vacuum pump (do E46's have this?! or is the actuator the replacement?!)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, I will drive her to work tomorrow, (take both keys), and hope for the best.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been having the exact same problem for close to a year now. Money dictates that I find a DIY solution, but here are a few more symptoms:

This seems to be temperature related. When it is really hot or really cold the doorlocks won't work from the FOB or from the center console. The first cycle is for the driver's door, the second is for all doors (sedan). The driver's door cycle makes a clicking sound (it really wants to unlock) the second cycle makes no sound. Usually it resolves after several cycles on the console button, but this is goddamned embarassing when my girlfriend is standing outside the car and I'm in there cycling. It does it on both FOBs, btw.

I've read in other forums about actuator replacement, but it doesn't always seem to fix the problem. How do I go about checking on the vacuum pumps/hoses? BTW I have the factory alarm installed if that makes any diff.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info...

For an update, I went to pick up my son this morning (divorced) and I walked out there to the car, and like muscel memory I clicked the remote and "poof" the doors unlocked... Maybe she was mad for being in storage I dunno...... But thank you all for the input and opinions!!!!! I love these boards!!!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
mine has been in storage for a month while i was in singapore.

now, i cant open my passenger side door from the outside.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Because it worked doesn't mean it will work, SSG. For me this problem is cyclical. It has been ongoing for a year or more. I have the old factory discs which I'll review today, but I'm still truly hoping for a response that let's me chase this problem down.

·
Premium Member
19,963 Posts
remove the center console lock, and clean it, or replace it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks, Pi. I have been experiencing the exact same thing for about a year now. I have an '02 325xi. Did you ever resolve the problem?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
anyone have a fix for this? it happens to me too and its extremely embarrassing when its raining and my girlfriend has to stand outside of my car while I mess around with the locks.... even pulling the door handles from the inside will not unlock them?!?

further more, why doesn't a second turn mechanically unlock the remaining doors from the drivers side key hole.....

·
Registered
357 Posts
anyone have a fix for this? it happens to me too and its extremely embarrassing when its raining and my girlfriend has to stand outside of my car while I mess around with the locks.... even pulling the door handles from the inside will not unlock them?!?

further more, why doesn't a second turn mechanically unlock the remaining doors from the drivers side key hole.....
This is the reason.
http://www.bmwgm5.com/

·
Premium Member
19,963 Posts
i eventually had to send my GM5 in to dude that ^^ i have a spare one for sale thats in my my car working great, but my repaired one is ready for replacement, should someone want to buy it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Need help with my doors again

I am having some trouble with my doors unlocking on my 2000 323i.

1) The key will only lock the doors and open the trunk.
2) The central locking button will only close the doors and open the trunk.
3) Doors won't open manually from inside.

Only sometimes all my doors will open. And afte

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
www.bmwgm5.com

Sounds like the GM5 relays need to be replaced, nothing unusual.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts