E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently purchased a 2001 330CI. It is not a convertible. The key fob will not unlock the door. I can hear it try to cycle, and the interior lights come on, but the door does not unlock. This is happening on both doors, but the fuel door unlocks with no problem. The Key fob will lock the doors and open the trunk with no problems. The center console button is not working either. I can hear the fuse clicking when i press it, but that is all. To unlock the passenger side door, I have to repeatedly press the button in the cabin and pull on the handle from the inside and sometimes even this does not help. If it is the actuators, is it going to be a tough fix???

·
Premium Member
28,953 Posts
Just recently purchased a 2001 330CI. It is not a convertible. The key fob will not unlock the door. I can hear it try to cycle, and the interior lights come on, but the door does not unlock. This is happening on both doors, but the fuel door unlocks with no problem. The Key fob will lock the doors and open the trunk with no problems. The center console button is not working either. I can hear the fuse clicking when i press it, but that is all. To unlock the passenger side door, I have to repeatedly press the button in the cabin and pull on the handle from the inside and sometimes even this does not help. If it is the actuators, is it going to be a tough fix???
www.bmwgm5.com

Email Scott with the details you have here.

Sounds like bad GM5 relays. Scott can replace them if needed.

Also you NEED to purchase an addition keyfob if you only have one.

Bite the bullet and do it now before you are sorry.

Read this link - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1008294

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I emailed Scott and he does not think it is module because i have never been able to unlock the door.

·
Premium Member
28,953 Posts
The coupes are different than the sedans, however, Scott knows the central locking best. It would be unusual that both door lock actuators are bad. Since you indicated the interior light comes on, this means the keyfob is working.

Be careful as the drivers door key link is designed to be weak to reduce theft and break-ins. If the link breaks using the key, you will be in TROUBLE. Get the central locking fixed ASAP.

It may actually be the car battery as well, might as well get that checked and tested.

You can bring up the Voltage on the OBC on the dash, see the 4th link below in my signature. 12.6 Volts is a fully charged battery. Expect to see about 12.4 Volts on the OBC. 12.0 Volts is a battery that only has about a 25% charge.

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Yup, sounds like the actuators are probably bad since the door unlock problem is all the time and not intermittent and you say the fuel door unlocks with no problem. The fuel door is wired in parallel with the double lock motors in the door actuators. The actuators are a pain to replace. Parts are about $140 a side, you will need an E7 socket to loosen the reverse threaded window bolts. You will also need a 1/4" torque wrench, all the torque specs for all the bolts you touch and a SRS reset tool. It takes me about 1 to 1-1/4 hours per door and I've done a bunch of them. The first time will probably take you 2 to 2-1/2 hours. There is a very slight chance the problems are all caused by the module and not the actuators, but, again it's a very slight chance. There is a moderate chance that both actuators and the module are bad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 330ci also recently purchased with 50k miles (south florida car). within 6 months of owning, one day the fobs don't unlock the car and the center console unlock doesn't work and the passenger door will NOT open (neither pulling handle from inside, nor fob, nor center console). can't get into fuel door either.
BMW dealer (for $125 diagnostic fee - yuk) said it was bad GM5 and for $1,200 they'd be glad to replace it.
Called Scott who actually answered phone on a Saturday and after talking to him and the possibility it is a GM5 problem, for the $100 chance, I sent him the GM5
Man was that a good move. Within a week he sent it back 'repaired' and now everything is perfect.
I had to re-program my fobs, but that's simple by watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YcFN3Ns0yI. Note: to do additional fobs, after doing key#1 successfully, quickly grab key#2, hold down the unlock & press the lock 3 times then let go. your second key will now be programmed too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had to re-program my fobs, but that's simple by watching Note: to do additional fobs, after doing key#1 successfully, quickly grab key#2, hold down the unlock & press the lock 3 times then let go. your second key will now be programmed too.

Can this be done with any other fob? I have 3 unused keys from cars that are now wrecked - all 330ci but of different years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts