E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2005 BMW 330i ZHP Auto
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The driver's side door of my 2004 325ci won't work. I read that it can be fixed with a ziptie, but I am having trouble understanding what to do and what the problem actually is. Here are the symptoms I am having. 1) The door handle feels very light and has almost no resistance. 2) When the passenger handle is pulled there is a click noise, but there is no noise when I pull the driver's side handle. I've already tried adjusting the screw behind the rubber flap but it made no difference. I'd really like to have this fixed ASAP so any responses are greatly appreciated!

· Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the board. My guess is that the bowen cable has either dislodged or the plastic end came loose.

Try tightening it first:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hT9E-BQOJk

(word to the wise, don't over tighten because the stupid little thing is plastic so you can strip the threads)

If it just spins or is not even connected. You're going to have to take the door panel off. The part you're looking for is #5
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BL93-USA---E46-BMW-M3&diagId=41_1111

· Registered
3 Posts
Passenger door won't open

Hey , my passenger door won't open from the outside only , I took the door panel apart last night and found a metal piece broke off of the piece that the handle fits in to I tried zip ties and it didn't work Because the handle would not open now due to the zip tie being there, anyone know any good ideas to fix this or should I just buy a brand new. Thanks

· Registered
2005 BMW 330i ZHP Auto
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds to me like your door handle carrier broke. The bowden cable in mine physically snapped. I was able to find a used door handle carrier with a cable on eBay for less than $30. Installation was actually quite easy. First remove the door panel, then the airbag, then the vapor barrier, then the window glass. After the window is out, take out the screw behind the door handle that secures the door handle carrier. There are quite a few threads that explain the process much better than I can. Took me about 2 hours to fix after identifying the problem. Sorry if this wasn't the best explanation. Hope I helped!

· Registered
1,371 Posts
Hey , my passenger door won't open from the outside only , I took the door panel apart last night and found a metal piece broke off of the piece that the handle fits in to I tried zip ties and it didn't work Because the handle would not open now due to the zip tie being there, anyone know any good ideas to fix this or should I just buy a brand new. Thanks
i just fixed this - you need to remove the door card, pull back the vapour barrier on sides, remove window glass and replace that door handle housing. Its only 2 screws. you must remove glass to replace it - it took me an hour in total ! my first time doing this and it was very easy, not sure why so many people are scared to remove the glass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.