E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, is it necessary to keep the door in the locked position when taking the door panel off as suggested on www.bmw330ci.com? Also is there any suggestion as to what tools to be used when it comes to prying loose the bottom of the door panel. Any other things I need to be careful in the process in order not to screw up? Thanks in advance.

·
call me kev :D
5,532 Posts
i did it both way... locked and unlocked when i removed my door panel, i guess it really doesn't matter.

and to pop out the door panel, i use a thin & long flathead screwdriver covered up by a towel so i won't scratch the paint. stick it behind the panel and start popping them out.

a ferrari mechanic showed me that trick :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will it dent the sheet metal underneath the door panel because a screw driver is kinda thin and puts a lot of pressure on the sheet metal when you pry the door panel. Thanks!

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
5,457 Posts
no, in fact i find it easier with the door open. But do what e46boy said. use a towel with flat head screw driver. pop out from the end of the door bottom portion first, then reach in and PULL!!!!! prepare for some very unpleasant sounds..... but thats normal...

·
Dale Earnhardt's Double
530 Posts
Still trying to retrieve that screw, eh? Keep us posted and don't forget my suggestion as a last (and I do mean last) resort.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a matter of fact, taking the entire door off seems to be a better alternative ;) Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just used my hands. As soon as you get part of it off, the rest comes really easily. I didn't even break any of the clips, either. The sound's pretty bad though:cry:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts