BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just finished installing new speakers in front doors and have a problem/question. The doors open/close, lock/unlock, but my lock/unlock button in between the driver and passenger seat ONLY WORKS WHEN THE CAR IS ON. What the???

Where can i begin to pinpoint this prob?? Anyone? Please help!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and, by the way, i can barely hear my sub...using a very small box (with 12") that a friend gave me. will it make that much of a difference if the box is bigger?

·
hammer talks like this
4,293 Posts
box size does matter, but if your hearing nothing then something else isnt right. maybe the wires arent hooked up correctly.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, well, i hear it a little bit, i know it's on, b/c when i open the trunk, it's BOOMING. It's obviously sealed up REALLY well, b/c it's not very obvious that it's on from the front. My front channels seem to be a little too treblish, i've got a lot of tweeking to do.

1. you think i should replace the box
2. any ideas on the lock/unlock button?

·
hammer talks like this
4,293 Posts
might be a blown fuse that controls the power when the car is turned off. only thinkg i cant think of. might wanna check with another 323i owner and see if you can actually use that button when the car is off. just to be sure. and if you can hear the sub loudly when the trunk is only and not that loud when its closed, then id blame the bmw trunk for be so well insulated. you my have to use teh ski pass, if you have one.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, it IS so damn well insulated! my ski-pass is solid, so i can't really go that route...

MCD, i'll reverse the phase and see how it helps...that's a good idea. thanks. You have a 325 - does the lock button work for you when the car is off? Maybe i'm crazy/paranoid and it never worked...?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also, good idea on the fuse...any ieads where the fuse box is? i suppose i can just look at the manual.. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ski pass is not solid... well it is, but it is perforated... so i just cut away the insulation behing the arm rest which again was perforated, and then simply kicked the ski pass through... I could have used my feet, but used the rubber mallett

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey man - yeah, it's still messed up - i didn't really pay any attention to it today b/c i was so flustered about the system.

everything works, but it sounds like sh$t. the 5 1/4 mb's that i had in my old system, driven by the same amp distort terribly at not-so-high volumes and the 6 1/2's that i put in the back do the same thing. Not only that, but the whole thing is VERY treblish, not good at all! Why is it that the same speakers i used in my old system, which sounded great, no longer work? The only variable is the line driver...does it make a difference?

I'm thinking about going to CC tomorrow to get 4 new speakers, but i'm not sure how easy it's going to be for them to install. if i get a component system, they're going to have to do some re-wiring in the back, or i will..

any ideas?

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
2,068 Posts
hmm..not encouraging news...hopefully i wont run into the same problems with my install. being that the trunk is sealed like a mutha fuka is why its hard to hear bass in the cabin. like mentioned above, try a bigger box or different box design or probably try and feed your sub more juice. maybe just not going with rear fill and removing the rear speakers will allow you to hear more bass, not sure if you like your setup that way. rear fill sounds cool IMO.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, i think rear fill is pretty important, or it just doesn't sound right. maybe if the fronts are a pair of $800 components, but i don't have that $ to spend, ya know? cutting out the ski pass helped alot, but the system still doesn't sound right. the strange part is that i had exactly the same system in my 4runner (bad acoustics) and it sounded amazing. maybe the line driver is all messed up or i have the mrv amp set up wrong. i know it is a 4/3/2...maybe i don't have it tweaked right...

in terms of wiring from harness to aftermarket, etc, i can offer plenty of help if you need it..

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey bender, could it be that my line driver gain is set so low? i dunno, just grabbing for anything here...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the signal is crossed over after the amp. the mbq's come with their own little crossovers (small black box) and i'm using that, as i did on my old system. the amp itself (mrv f400s) has an internal crossover, which i have been trying to tweak with, but to no avail. i would say that the double xover b/w the mbq and the amp is messing things up, but it was fine in the old system. any ideas?

as far as the line driver goes, my next step is to bypass it and see what happens. it's the only new variable, so it MUST be the culprit, right..? no reason for these mbq/s to distort at such low volumes..they were phenomenal before (and there are no tears, etc..)

thanks for the help, guys - this is absolutely KILLING ME!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts