E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fanatics,

My 2003 330i is approaching 250k miles, in large part thanks to the knowledge shared here.

I just rebuilt my lock cylinder (2nd time since I've owned the car) because the little cast piece inside broke. Put the cylinder back in the door, and found I couldn't turn the key to the right to lock the car (it is currently unlocked, with all four little stalks up). I turned the key a little harder, and stared in amazement as all of my windows including the sunroof opened. The door still hadn't locked though. I rolled up the windows and tried again. Still couldn't turn the key in the cylinder, but now instead of windows rolling down, the lights just dimmed like there was a current draw somewhere.

My remote locks have never worked since I've owned the vehicle. I do however have a newish (2yr old) key courtesy of the dealership after someone stole my original. I also intermittently cannot operate the locks using the interior button either. Currently the switch isn't working.

All of this, based on my reading, points to the GM5 module. However, the inability to turn the key has me thinking the actuator might be dead as well. So basically, I'm wondering whether anybody has experienced a similar thing? Is it possible I screwed up the lock rebuild? I can turn the key 90 degrees each way with spring pressure when it is free from the car. Any tips for troubleshooting?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,574 Posts
Sounds like you screwed up the lock cylinder rebuild for one. Why exactly do you suspect the general module for the other problems?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Interesting update...turns out the lock switch does work, the driver door just has to be shut. I cycled the lock several times from the inside and it functioned correctly. I then tried the key in the lock and it worked perfectly. I’m not sure what caused the hang up, or what activated the windows. The remote still doesn’t function, but like I said, that never did. Based on this I’m 99% sure I didn’t screw up the lock cylinder rebuild.

I suspect the GM5 module because when I got a new key, freshly programmed from the dealer, the remote locks still didn’t work. Occasionally the key in the door won’t unlock all doors, or I’ll have to twist it twice to activate the locking action. On several occasions I’ve had them double cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hello Fanatics,

My 2003 330i is approaching 250k miles, in large part thanks to the knowledge shared here.

I just rebuilt my lock cylinder (2nd time since I've owned the car) because the little cast piece inside broke. Put the cylinder back in the door, and found I couldn't turn the key to the right to lock the car (it is currently unlocked, with all four little stalks up). I turned the key a little harder, and stared in amazement as all of my windows including the sunroof opened. The door still hadn't locked though. I rolled up the windows and tried again. Still couldn't turn the key in the cylinder, but now instead of windows rolling down, the lights just dimmed like there was a current draw somewhere.

My remote locks have never worked since I've owned the vehicle. I do however have a newish (2yr old) key courtesy of the dealership after someone stole my original. I also intermittently cannot operate the locks using the interior button either. Currently the switch isn't working.

All of this, based on my reading, points to the GM5 module. However, the inability to turn the key has me thinking the actuator might be dead as well. So basically, I'm wondering whether anybody has experienced a similar thing? Is it possible I screwed up the lock rebuild? I can turn the key 90 degrees each way with spring pressure when it is free from the car. Any tips for troubleshooting?

Thanks!
OP SAID:
" I turned the key a little harder, and stared in amazement as all of my windows including the sunroof opened."

IF I was the OP and wrote that ^ , some of you would say Im trolling.

To those who kept on trolling me, get off my dick you humorless vile piglets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts