BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know a way of replacing a key tumbler in a door lock / boot lock? I don't want to pay £460 for them from bmw...

Or anyone know how to get the actual tumbler out of the lock itself? I've remove the retaining bits in the back of the lock but the cylinder won't slide out

·
Registered
114 Posts
Anyone know a way of replacing a key tumbler in a door lock / boot lock? I don't want to pay £460 for them from bmw...

Or anyone know how to get the actual tumbler out of the lock itself? I've remove the retaining bits in the back of the lock but the cylinder won't slide out
Check YouTube I did about a year ago...do you have the repair kit?

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked on youtube and the videos are only of the repair kit which is simply fixing the retainer on the back of the cylinder. I need the tumbler itself as whoever tried to break in rammed a flathead screwdriver into the key hole and absolutely destroyed it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I looked on youtube and the videos are only of the repair kit which is simply fixing the retainer on the back of the cylinder. I need the tumbler itself as whoever tried to break in rammed a flathead screwdriver into the key hole and absolutely destroyed it.
Maybe time for a trip to the bone yard?

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But then my key wouldn't fit the lock :p My last resort will be to get another lock and disassemble it and try to make a new one but on another forum someone mentioned they may be able to help so going to try them first.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,106 Posts
It would be worth going to a junkyard, picking up two new tumblers then taking it to a locksmith and see if they would do the surgery to transfer the pins.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This may be of interest to you...
The BMW 3 Series (E46) Service Manual from Bentley Publishers is considered a reference work for repair procedures and a must-have for any DIY'er.

Locked Key in Cabin or Trunk/Dead key and broken door lock combo

See this thread for opening your trunk without a key. Going through the ski-pass in the middle is also a relatively clean way. If your pass-thru isn't openable, you can drill a hole and try to work a coat hangar hook through there to grab the glow in the dark emergency release handle inside the trunk.
If you have a dead keyfob in connection with a broken lock cylinder, the best method is to try to revive your dead keyfob with a temporary fresh battery (see electrical section of wiki for full battery replacement DIY). A simple 3v calculator battery can be wired to your open keyfob in a pinch for a very temporary work around until you can replace the rechargeable battery.
If you can't get in using a key, the top corner of the driver's door or passenger's door may be gently pried open a little and then propped open to allow a coat hangar (or simliar) to be slid in to grab one of the interior door handles for the double-pull. Wrap the prying tools and coat hangar in protective tape so finishes do not get scratched. Pushing the unlock button will not work as the computer has built in security routines to prevent such a "break-in" attempt. If the car has been locked with a keyfob remote, the double-pulls will be disabled, but they can be re-enabled by pressing the central lock button by the parking brake handle. Due to the design of the locking mechanism in the doors, a traditional "slim jim" approach will not work.
Key cylinder repair DIY can be found in Exterior/Troubleshooting above

btw...tell us the conclusion.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts

Wiki says:
Door Lock Cylinder Broken?

Once you get your door open, the cylinder can be replaced or rebuilt fairly easily. It's held in by one allen-head screw. See this thread for rebuild info.

Sent from my 9029W using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts