E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tonight i installed some new tail lights, they’re the spyder ones for me 2001 325ci. i know ppl tend u prefer the depo and eagle eye ones but i went with these. after the install these lights came on idk why though, can someone help me out?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I assume the lights you installed are LED? The easy fix is to install resistors since the LEDs don't draw as much current as the incandescent bulbs so the LCM thinks they're burned out.
yes they are LEDs i will look into getting some resistors, thank you for the advice i’ll let you know how it goes. there’s no issue if i drive it like this while i get the resistors right? bc i’m using less energy so i can’t burn a fuse can i?

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330i
975 Posts
You could also code the checks off but that requires NCSExpert and a scan tool

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,378 Posts
The reason that the warning is on, is the LKM performs. "Cold ohmic check" of the filaments in the bulbs. Since you switched to LEDs there's no filaments and the LKM assumed the bulbs were bad.

The installation of a resistor or coding out will fix it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And if it hasn't been mentioned yet.
You need gas
You need to put your seatbelts on.
LOL
I was doing some highway runs the night before so weight reduction and my passenger light comes on if I sit in the seat and dont buckle it, I guess placing the shipping box there was enough weight to trigger the light LOL thank u for the concern

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just code out the bulb checks with BMW scanner if you have it. If its cheap chinese tail lights they wont have the load resistors, triggering the light
I'll take it to a mechanic who has the scanner, he can clear the codes for free for me. did it last time I changed out my brakes and my sensors said my breaks were faded.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The reason that the warning is on, is the LKM performs. "Cold ohmic check" of the filaments in the bulbs. Since you switched to LEDs there's no filaments and the LKM assumed the bulbs were bad.

The installation of a resistor or coding out will fix it.
thank you I think this might be the best explanation I've gotten on this thread. I will look into a resistor install, would there be any issues if I don't clear the codes right away?

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
8,049 Posts
yes they are LEDs i will look into getting some resistors, thank you for the advice i’ll let you know how it goes. there’s no issue if i drive it like this while i get the resistors right? bc i’m using less energy so i can’t burn a fuse can i?
You can also code for LEDs. Balidawg helped me do it on mine. Stops the LCM from running the test.

And get that airbag light reset or resolved!

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,378 Posts
So to further explain, the bulb monitor is simple test that is constantly run by the car. No fancy computers storing fault codes on this one.

Ever notice folks that switch over to LEDs and while the car is on there will be an occasional flickering of the lights?
That's the periodic cold ohmic check being sent out to check the bulb filiments. Does so every so often.

Just code it out and you're good.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can also code for LEDs. Balidawg helped me do it on mine. Stops the LCM from running the test.

And get that airbag light reset or resolved!
thank you, for the airbag light it only comes on if i sit in the passenger seat and don’t buckle up it goes away when i buckle the next time, is that okay?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.