BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello ladies. Thanks to the Kung flu Ive had some free time to start installing some goodies on my rig. This build has been a long time coming and I'v been acquiring parts since about last October. Ever since I got my 1st 325 I wanted a 330i. After I got the 330 I wanted a m3. After I got an m3 I wanted a supercharger. After I blew up my rotrex I wanted another supercharger. Here I am now.

First thing to do was to cut off the soft top. Don't worry purists, It`ll be okay. The latches are screwed so I am going with a hardtop. Already have the mount hardware installed so I just needed to cut the "extra' off of the soft top brackets. I'm completely removing the soft from the car. Should be at least 100 lb weight reduction right off the top not including the pump and stuff. Still have to get the mounding trim & properly paint the hardtop. Basically I butchered off the soft top with a grinder in order to mount a hardtop without having a soft top at all. I should be able to install a rear shock tower bar since there is no soft top. Maybe a nitrous bottle too? Could also install my amps in there instead of the trunk

Attachments

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next we dropped the subframe to see how much lube dogs barn hole is going to need. Not too bad, I expected worse. Ordered up Achilles plates, rev shift subframe bushings, rev shift diff bushings, lemforder Rtabs & limiters, the rest of those small bushings no one really seems to talk about. Ordered reinforcement plates for the rear lower control arms too. I also had a big brain moment & ordered diff seals while I’m at it. Having a welder come handle the plates for me when I find someone good. Vac wants over 3k to do the job, Ouch. I used my trusty Hazzard Fart press to tackle some bushings. Diff bushings literally crumbled right out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m in Bavarian limbo until I get the rear cracks welded up, so it’s time to work on the engine bay. First I got rid of the stonk kitties in exchange for some Megan racing headers. Installed revshift motor mounts while it was easy. My motor mounts were so shot my oil pan was resting on the front sway bar! Aem wideband o2 sensor installed as well for my afr gauge. Had to delete the secondary air pump while in there. Global warming is a myth right guys? Also tackled the Cpv valve & ecs vanos line while there. Removed valve cover for colder plugs, valve adjustment, & vanos stuff

Attachments

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next it is time to pop on some supercharger hardware. I have an aa prima kit minus the blower, brand new ess bracket with belts, Dinan bracket & belt, & 2 Vortech chargers to choose from, and some misc silicone piping & filters. One is a nice shiny display v1, the other is a v2 from the Dinan kit. I’m going with the v2 for now with the ess bracket. I was planning on using the aa intake with a intercooler, but I got a used rms after cooler manifold instead. If it gives me problems I’ll go with the aa mani. Already had Bosche green giant injectors but I don’t know if the can handle the power I need. Will use them to get everything set up and running but will most likely upgrade. Also installed a sick moroso catch can to keep things tidy. Relocated the aux water pump away from the supercharger, relocated the ps reservoir up a bit as well. I haven’t 100% decided how I want to set up the charger so I might change something up, but here’s some pics of what I’ve tried so far. You can see how shiny the polished v1 is compared to the v2. I’m probably gonna run a flex pipe to the foglight for fresh cooler air. I just wanted to see how the filters lookin the bay

Attachments

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here’s a pic of the rms after cooler manifold I’m going to use. Waiting for it to arrive. Got it all this used on eBay for 1300. Can’t beat it, maybe I’ll get lucky and those injectors will be bigger then the greens I have. Also comes with the rms pulley to run a third belt for the charger if I decide to go that way. I personally know someone who runs this aftercooler set up. They also have a Ferrari, so I obviously trust their opinion. Came from a part out

Attachments

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To oil up the Vortech I am using a ralley road oil distribution block with summit an fittings. Will also add an aem oil pressure sensor to the block too eventually. I m draining the charger to the oil drain tube for the intake manifold. It’s the small line that always breaks when you pull the manifold. Pic of me holding the oem line so you know what I’m talking about. Vets let me know if there is a better alternative for the oil drain. I also custom made stainless lines for the oil cooler out of summit press on fittings, stainless hose, and 2 of the an adaptors to make the hoses plug work. This will make upgrading to a better oil cooler if needed super easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I mounted up a spal fan, charger belt, test fitted intercooler incase I decide to use it instead of the rms after cooler. Also replaced all vanos seals, adjusted valves, and probably some other stuff I’m forgetting. Also found a yellow tag rack I forgot about, so installed that. Waiting on new tie rods. Vanos was done by previous owner, but I see minimal wear so I might get smaller holes drilled somewhere from somewhere local. Anyways that’s where I’m at now, still have plenty to do and plenty more cash to waste. The goal is to eventually have a lightish weight 600+hp vert with a roll bar to break hearts at red lights and the track. I also want to replace or upgrade virtually every thing within reason eventually just to say I did it. I’ll update when I make some more progress boys. If anyone has any ideas for the build, or wants to call me retarded don’t be shy. Dumping random pics for the next few posts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mo random pics. Look how worn one of those subframe bushing sleeves was. Probably why I got some cracks in the old gal

Attachments

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ordered a brand new kw v3 replacement strut since my old one was damaged, but then I noticed the other side was leaking and the rears felt too soft. Kw charges 200-300 bux to rebuild each one, so I***8217;m gonna order st coilovers for now. They are Kw v2s made out of zinc instead of stainless steel, and they also come with camber plates which I don***8217;t have. I***8217;ll still get the v3s rebuilt, eventually. Pic of vortech v1 looking nice. Also pic of my active autowerke muffler. I hope it sounds good with the headers. This is my favorite sounding muffler by far. I***8217;m also gonna try and polish it all up and maybe get different tips

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts