BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright... before you judge me let me just say that BEFORE I bought my puppy, I had a free truck from a family member lined up which would have solved this whole problem (but that deal fell through).

So the question is.... for you people who own dogs, what is the best way that you have found to transport him/her in your car that is both safe for the dog and the interior? I have a golden retriever and right now he's about 1/2 the size that he will grow up to be. But I also foresee some potential problems. I dont take him every day in the car, but I'd say once a month. Random question I know, but any ideas or insight is appreciated. To complicate things a little more, I have a coupe.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
My pup rides in the Jeep only! They do have dog harnesses that work with seat belts...and get a seat cover. Hairs are going to get EVERYWHERE. I did take her to the vet once in my car, it wasn't too bad.

·
Content free since 1994
585 Posts
Me too. And I live just north, in Marysville.

I have a two year old Goldendoodle (standard Poodle and Golden Retriever mix). He rides in my car "occasionally"... mostly to the groomer's or to visit friends.

So far so good, but I think the biggest risk to the car is getting in/out.

Random brain dump follows:

1. There are some good set covers made specially for pet owners. Get a decent one that covers the most ground. They are super easy to put in. Some have pockets for dog treats, water bottle, etc. I keep mine in a trunk organizer and yank it out when needed. Takes only a minute to hang it from front and rear headrests and position it correctly. The best ones are quilted and lined so nothing gets through. BavAuto sells two or three types of pet seat covers.

1a. In your case, get the side pieces too so he doesn't tear up rear side upholstery.

1b. Some places have a special "pet barrier" that keeps the dog from climbing into the front seat.

2. There are special harnesses that hook to the seatbelt/LATCH stuff. They allow a range of movement for the dog but pretty much keep him in place.

3. My dog is white, so it's easy to check that he's clean. :pimpin:

4. Might be able to fit a travel crate in while he's little.

5. Don't leave him alone in the car if you can help it. He'll dehydrate rapidly.

6. There are special collapsible doggie dishes.

7. If you start taking him along more often, get a small box or something and put some standard stuff in there -- fresh bottled water, some dog treats, a spare leash, and some kind of crap scooper -- maybe one of those little baggie dispenser things.

7a. You may want a package of disposable glass cleaner wipes too.

8. MAKE SURE TO KEEP HIS NAILS TRIMMED.

Regards,

·
Registered
259 Posts
i have a 7 month old Doberman, he is a little over 80lbs already so a decent size dog. he is very well trained and when i do take him in the car, he sits in the front facing me and doesnt move, he might get on the floor and put his head on the seat, but i never had a problem with him

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
+1 on the thick blankets... the nails scratching the leather is probably the worst of your problems... make sure you avoid that LOL

ive taken my yellow lab like twice in the bimmer. Thank god for my Land Cruiser and Tundra... :p

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I always transport the dog in the SUV. The BMW has a strict 'humans only' policy... and even the humans must meet age and behavioral requirements.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
My Dogs sit in all my cars, but I put a rubber bottomed rug down first. Mainly because on leather, most blankets will move around too much, and the dog will slip.

I use the rug/blanket because I can't always keep up with cutting my dog's nails, and they can scratch leather easily.

I also put the seatbelt on them, so they know to sit still instead of barking at every other dog we drive by.

·
Registered
126 Posts
that shat pic is the funniest thing i have seen in ages. i laughed out loud for five minutes. it's probably what that guy deserves for the horrible shift knob.

+1 on the doggie car seat. i bought one at Tuesday Morning for $20 that works great (in my wife's Saab that is, i won't let the dog in my coupe...too small). it latches around the rear headrests and hooks on to a few other areas to stay in place. works like a champ and saves the leather seats. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
23,172 Posts
I always transport the dog in the SUV. The BMW has a strict 'humans only' policy... and even the humans must meet age and behavioral requirements.
+1

My dog does not ride in the BMW, he has his seat in the SUV. He gets the back row of seats to himself, and he will actually sit on the on seat of the car nicely.

I try to limit his transportation to necessity only, and when we do go somewhere, I avoid the freeway at all costs.

And just to show him off...he sits on a chair, so a car seat is cake.

·
Registered
303 Posts
As 325ifc3s said above, no problem for a dog to sit on passenger floor, facing rear. My lab and my previous golden rode this way daily with me. No matter how big they get they will still fit this way. Start young, teach them to sit and stay this way. Rubber mats are easier on fur control, but otherwise, vacuum regularly- BTW I have always had a vert and dog still sits there with the top down.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts