BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahead?-had 4 wheel laser alignment done 5 months ago-but ive noticed a lot of the time when travelling in a straight line the m in the steering wheel badge points 3 minutes to the right,i know our roads are bad,camber etc-took it to another indy who said if they move the wheel one notch to the left the m will point 3 minutes to the left(its that tight).Took it back to the alignment garage who did a road test and said it was fine.Am i worrying over nothing as the car does not pull either way when driving or braking?thanx for your thoughts.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
The steering wheel is crooked because the front toe settings are unequal, with you having slightly more toe-in on the right than the left.

There's a DIY here or you go can back to the alignment shop and have them make it right.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=459889

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
jpr... you are the MAN!

Seriously, it's great having your input on alignment issues... much appreciated.
Happy to help - I well remember the aggravation I went through my first time down the alignment path so it's nice to try to spare some others the same pain.
:blink:

I'm lost
If it were left to it's own devices, each individual wheel would want to drive straight ahead and have zero toe. But since they can't, they do the next best thing and try to evenly share the total toe they've got.

For example, say you had 0 toe on one wheel, and 0.20 deg toe in on the other. As soon as you start driving, your wheels will want to evenly split this load between them so that each sees 0.10 deg of toe in.

On the front, since the wheels are connected via the steering rack, they can equalize the toe rather easily and the steering wheel will be rotated off center even though you are driving straight ahead.

The rear wheels however, are not connected in such a direct way and they have to change the whole direction the car is moving to equalize the toe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts