BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.. so I'm getting into the autox/track thing and I wanted to get a set of dedicated wheels and tires for my 330i ZHP

I plan to go with some 18x8.5 BBS RKs with 255/35/18 all around.. or maybe 245F and 255R

also.. i figure.. eh.. what the hell? why not sell the stock ZHP wheels and get some dish for the street, right?

anyway.. for that I was thinking either 18x9 all around (i think i need 5-10 mm spacers up front) with maybe 265 in back and 255 in front..

or 18x8 front with either 235/40 or 245/35 (8" wheel is the min for those widths) and 18x9 in back with 265/35 (again, 9" is the min size for 265 width according to manufacturer specs for pretty much all tires)

thoughts?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Planning on autox/track why would you get a wheel that you need to add spacers? Not to mention the weight of the BB RKs...

·
(\OO\ (||)(||) /OO/)
800 Posts
I'm doing something very similar with new wheels on order. Here's my input:

For the track - Depending upon the offset of the 18x8.5 BBS RK's, you should be good to go with the 255/35/18 all around. Offsets between 38 and 42 should work in this setup, and you may be able to go as high as 44.

For the street - I'm also going to go with 18x9 front wheels, and I think the highest offset you can safely go with is right around 40. If the wheels you go with have a higher offset, you'll most likely need spacers. I test fit my rear wheels (18x9 et 41 with 255/35/18 tires) onto my front, and they just BARELY fit without rubbing on the front strut (I'm lowered on Bilstein PSS9s). Wheel alignment settings may also play a role in this configuration fitting correctly or not. Yes, it's that close. If you wind up going with 18x8 in the front, I personally wouldn't go wider than 235/40/18. Offsets with this setup in the front can be as low as 35.

And you might as well get your fenders rolled if they aren't already. Just about all of the setups above will require it.

Let us know what you wind up going with. :thumbup:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rappy2k said:
Planning on autox/track why would you get a wheel that you need to add spacers? Not to mention the weight of the BB RKs...
You lost me..

my stock wheels are et47 front and et50 rear..

18x8.5 BBS RK's are et38.. spacers are the last thing I'd want (or need).. i might even have to roll my fenders (doubt it though..)

also.. my stock wheels are about 26 lbs... the 18x8.5 BBS RK's are about 18 lbs...... so.. uh.. what about the weight?? unless i'm missing something and I want heavier wheels for competition.. someone should tell me now, and I'll keep my stock wheels.. :hmm:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Antroiny said:
For the street - I'm also going to go with 18x9 front wheels, and I think the highest offset you can safely go with is right around 40. If the wheels you go with have a higher offset, you'll most likely need spacers. I test fit my rear wheels (18x9 et 41 with 255/35/18 tires) onto my front, and they just BARELY fit without rubbing on the front strut (I'm lowered on Bilstein PSS9s). Wheel alignment settings may also play a role in this configuration fitting correctly or not. Yes, it's that close. If you wind up going with 18x8 in the front, I personally wouldn't go wider than 235/40/18. Offsets with this setup in the front can be as low as 35.

And you might as well get your fenders rolled if they aren't already. Just about all of the setups above will require it.

Let us know what you wind up going with. :thumbup:
gonna try to avoid any fender rolling if I can.. which is why i'm worried about lowering.. (won't happen until I feel my limits have exceed the car's stock suspension limits.. who knows when that'll be)

otherwise..I pretty much agree with you there... and to back up what you said.. about the et40 with 18x9 up front..

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=148050&highlight=18x9+wheels+front

looks like he came up with same conclusion... 18x9 et45 just barely didn't fit.. he thought a 5 mm spacer would all it would take.. thus et40..

Oh yea.. so i'm pretty sure.. like 95% that this is what i'm gonna go with
for the track BBS RK 18x8.5 with 255 all around.. 245F, 255R if it doesn't fit... i should be able to mess with the tire pressures enough to neutralize understeer for that staggered case.. if not.. 245 all around won't be bad..

for the street.. this is a 99.9999% positive.. 18x8 with 235 front.. and 18x9 with 265 rear.. the largest possible for those width wheels.. again.. that's all for show..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts