BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2003 330ci recently decided it doesn't want to start, and I'm hoping you all can help me decide what the problem is so I don't buy parts I don't need.

Here is the situation (it's a bit long, but I want to provide as many details as possible):

1. One day when I wanted to drive the car (I don't drive it often), it turned over slowly but did start. I only drove it about one mile that day but let it idle for a while. I figured the battery was just a little low from sitting, but thought letting it run for a while would charge it up.

2. The next day, the car would not start and the windows rolled down very slowly, leading me to believe that it was no big deal and just needed to charge the battery more. I jump started it with one of my other cars and it fired right up.

3. A couple weeks later I wanted to drive it again, and once again it was very slow to start, but started on its own without a jump. I drove about a mile and a half and turned it off. After that, it didn't start again. It also wouldn't start with a jump from another vehicle, but it did start when I pushed it and popped the clutch.

4. Immediately after popping the clutch, I drove for about 3 hours straight (200 or so miles out of town). I thought that surely 3 hours of driving would be enough to charge the battery. However, after I turned it off when I got to my destination, when I tried to start it again it didn't even try to start...the motor did not even attempt to turn over, and there wasn't even a click from the starter. At this point I decided the battery was definitely dead, even though all of the interior lights, radio, windows, etc. all still worked. The car still started every time I popped the clutch, so I decided to just park on a hill everywhere I went in that town and planned on replacing the battery when I got home.

5. Once I got home, I replaced the battery and was excited to be able to start the car without popping the clutch. However...it still did not start, not even when I tried to jump start it. And now I can't even try to pop the clutch because I have a very long gravel driveway.

So, do you all think it is safe to assume the starter is dead? Every starter I have heard of dying has always at least clicked once, but mine never went through that phase if it is indeed bad. It went from working, to doing absolutely nothing, with no signs of dying in between, which is why I am not fully convinced that the starter is the problem. Is there a fuse somewhere for the starter that could have blown when I tried unsuccessfully to jump start it?

I also had obvious symptoms of a dead battery, but I replaced it and nothing changed, even when trying to jump start it with a truck.

If any of you have any suggestions or have experienced similar circumstances, I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Make sure the cables are connected to the battery CORRECTLY and TIGHT. When you try and start it how many clicking noises do you hear?

And no there is no fuse "inside" the starter".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure the cables are connected to the battery CORRECTLY and TIGHT. When you try and start it how many clicking noises do
I rechecked the cables and they are definitely tight. There are no clicking noises when I try to start it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi there are you using heavy duty jump leads? cheap ones overheat , did you use a new battery or another old one. i had similar problem to you and it was the battery all along when the are fcuked not even a jump start will get it going.and i took the starter off and it was battery all along.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
get a voltmeter and check voltage on the battery; if it's less than 11.5v or 11.6v that new battery is toast.
You may have a short somewhere draining your new battery.
I suspect a short.
Going back a bit on your old battery; once a battery reaches a low enough voltage, it will recharge but it will not hold that charge for long. Time for a new one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts