BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the "tornadoe" intake accesory works? And an idea on a ghetto supercharger

First off id like to know if anyones tried a tornadoe and has some feed back? Ive heard they work..... though i question it.
Has anyone made there own tornadoe?

And secondly ive had this idea for a poor mans supercharger, and just wanted to bounce it off you guys... id like to build and try it one day for the heck of it, heres the idea;

Most of us have seen those fake $40 superchargers on ebay that consist of a fan inside a tube that u hook up to your intake (i didnt know about this when i had this idea).

My idea would have a longer, wider tube, with a funnel towards the engine side (maybe a four or five inch intake tube) with several fans inside, probably sixish. The fans and motors would start at the air filter side with a torquier/ more forceful design and finish with a more speed oriented design, obviously to force more air in.
I know we have some pretty sweet electronic motors, though wouldnt know where to get sufficient ones. I would probable hook it up so the fan motors are on the outside, with a driveline leading to the fan blades on the inside. There would probably be a motor per fan blade or per two blades.. the fan blades would probably start at 40 degrees and end up at 80 degrees, that combined with a motor that spins at 20k+ rpms should do the job... at first i figured this wouldnt create much pressure but if you had the series of fan blades spinning at high speeds, it may create significant pressure.... i suppose the biggest hurdle would be finding the proper motors...

I suppose by posting this, im seeking advice, input and tips, so feel free to deposit ur two cents!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah..... i was lookin for a slightly more articulate reply

yeah..... i was lookin for a slightly more articulate reply.....
And the about the wiz khalifa quote, theres ONLY one quote from him id use, and thats "hit the pedal once, make the floor shake" though im not sure id use that considering waynes cover, green and yellow, put black n yellow to shame

·
Registered
26,422 Posts
I drilled a hole in my lower intake boot (5/8") and added a 1/2" hose, sealed it really well with rtv, then ran the hose through the fire wall and under glovebox.

Then, I put my 2 gallon wet/dry vac and hooked that 1/2" hose into the blower side of vac...which I then plugged into the power inverter plugged into my glove box receptacle.

I'm getting a code for some reason...some stuff about mixture, but the car is noticeable louder now...though that might just be the vacuum. My gas mileage really sucks now for some other reason...will have to work on that one...but anyway...you see...anything is possible!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remember a good friend telling me his dad had made a tornadoe for his car, but used a miniature and a shop vac to test designs, he said his dad got the shop vac to a point where it sounded like a honda, though i suppose the difference isnt much!

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I drilled a hole in my lower intake boot (5/8") and added a 1/2" hose, sealed it really well with rtv, then ran the hose through the fire wall and under glovebox.

Then, I put my 2 gallon wet/dry vac and hooked that 1/2" hose into the blower side of vac...which I then plugged into the power inverter plugged into my glove box receptacle.

I'm getting a code for some reason...some stuff about mixture, but the car is noticeable louder now...though that might just be the vacuum. My gas mileage really sucks now for some other reason...will have to work on that one...but anyway...you see...anything is possible!
My smile got bigger and bigger as i kept reading...

·
Registered
820 Posts

Pics are need to know this isn't a troll ;)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer

·
Registered
2,595 Posts

:loco:

this is you

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Funniest thing is that there are really electric superchargers out there but the one guy who built them. Said it is so impractical you have to use so much electricity and a very high out put fan. But they guy really did boost his cars that he was experimenting with i think it was around 10-15 psi or something like that. Just do a google search it was hard to find but it is out there and can be done.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0406tur_knight_turbo_electric_supercharger/index.html

The guys site has been down for ever idk if his site will ever be back up
http://theboosthead.blogspot.com/

http://www.boosthead.com/old/dyno.htm

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
m edition ftw

·
Registered
26,422 Posts
Pics are need to know this isn't a troll ;)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer
I'm old, I don't know how to post pictures, but everyone here knows I speak the truth all the time.

Ask the guys at Bimmerfest...they saw my car with Range Rover roof and pink calipers, just like I've been saying all along. Might be some shots in the threads...IDK.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
brought high school memories back, did it to a couple cars in shop class it was great
http://youtu.be/OrDe1md6AWg
That is funny as hell that you guys got that much of a jump in HP from just a small leaf blower. I cant image one of those huge leaf blowers. lol Probably load and pretty stupid sounding though.

Good job though wonder what it would do to the BMW's lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've seen dudes with twin leaf blowers into a dual snorkel air cleaner. it's hilarious but it works.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts