E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gallon of OEM coolant from several years back, and I need to use it again (low coolant). The date on the bottom is 10/18/06.

Packaging or expiration date? Should I use it or just buy a new gallon?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Probably a packaging date. If it is clean/unused coolant, you should be fine. Coolant breaks down and gets dirty living in engines and radiators, not on shelves. :D

·
Registered
276 Posts
either buy new bottle or invest in a coolant glycol tester for $5-$10 at any auto parts shop or online.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yes

A bottle costs like 10 bucks. Dont be cheap or the car will eat you, your wallet and then take care of ur girlfriend.

Remember, this sucker comes from Germany. Remember their history? Lol

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
I have a gallon of OEM coolant from several years back, and I need to use it again (low coolant). The date on the bottom is 10/18/06.

My limited experience is that the shelf life is very long, measured in tens of years. The service life is considerably shorter. You can use that coolant.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts

DO NOT USE IT! Send it to me immediately for proper recycling. I'll even waive the hazardous disposal fee in exchange for you paying shipping.

:eeps:

Seriously, its fine, use it. Yes, certain anti-corrosion components will degrade while sitting on the shelf. But you'll be driving something else in the 20+ years it takes to do so.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
There is an expiration date on the bottle somewhere

1 - 11 of 11 Posts