BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Are you guys sure because i got bought a 01 325i from a guy and he told me it had m3 front suspention. They are bilstiens. My camber is off a lot too. Im not sure wht it could be. I have not taken it for an alignment yet because im thinking they will say they cant do it not knowing that it might be m3 struts. Is this possible?

·
Registered
56 Posts
This got me thinking so i went and jaked t up and they are bilteins but they are for my car, so ill be doing the alignment soon.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have an E46 M3 suspension on my 330 right now, works fine. the rear swaybar won't fit, but the springs, shocks, and struts will work just fine.

If you're buying used, make sure you get the strut tops, the M3 versions are different.

·
Registered
493 Posts
depends what you mean by "suspension". Since most people mean the springs & struts, that works fine. The control arms, hubs and such, notsomuch.

·
Registered
533 Posts
For reference, the E46 M3 entire rear subframe/accessories bolts right onto an E46 sedan, so it more than likely bolts on a coupe. A lot of the front stuff bolts on too (even though that would a little work on the strut towers in the front, but it's been done before)

It'd be cool if research was done before giving a 'no'.

The question would be, why are you asking? It's probably not the right solution to what you're trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You should have no problem in the back as long as you use an entire M rear set-up: (diff carrier, upper & lower control arms, shocks & springs, hubs/calipers). I bolted all this into my '00 wagon. No problems anywhere at all. Same thing Murph 1379 did. As some know, Rogue Eng'g did this about 5 years ago when they built their red M3 Wagon. AFAIK, all E46 models have identical suspension mounting point locations, at least in back.

As for the front, I don't have an answer. My guess is it will work fine, but I have no way to confirm.

Reason I'd like to know is because I have M3 front strut & hub assemblies (no M control arms) that I'd like to swap with my std E46 units (before you ask Chibo: because this way I can use a complete M3 big brake setup front & rear. Easier to find used stuff in complete sets. And I'm kinda anal about stuff like this :lmao:). Easiest thing for me now is to use the regular E46control arms with the M struts. But don't know if the M and non-M parts are the same geometry (see my sketch attched). I'm pretty certain the HD/ZHP control arm bushings will fit on the M3 arms correctly (same hex size). Just need to know if the dimensions shown on my sketch are the same.

Anyone?

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
for the record, I did not swap out all the rear axles and such, I'm simply using the M3 springs and shocks on non-M arms and everything else.

Yes I do believe the dimensions of the M front control arms are different from non-M, though I'm not sure what the actual dimensions of either are.

·
Registered
533 Posts
(before you ask Chibo: because this way I can use a complete M3 big brake setup front & rear. Easier to find used stuff in complete sets. And I'm kinda anal about stuff like this :lmao:).
Then you have a valid reason :)
for the record, I did not swap out all the rear axles and such, I'm simply using the M3 springs and shocks on non-M arms and everything else.

Yes I do believe the dimensions of the M front control arms are different from non-M, though I'm not sure what the actual dimensions of either are.
The M front control arms are longer (in relation from center of car to outward horizontally) than Non-M arms... the exact numbers I don't know though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Then you have a valid reason :)

The M front control arms are longer (in relation from center of car to outward horizontally) than non-M arms... the exact numbers I don't know though.
Thanks for the info Chibo. My "valid reason" might come into question by some folks. Happy someone see's things my way! :loco:

I figured the wider track would be the difference (if there is one). Would be nice to get real measurements for confirmation. I'm going to guess the M-control arms are probably 12-13 mm longer in this dimension each side increasing track by say, 25 mm. I wonder if the upper strut locations are similarly wider?? To avoid a big negative camber increase? Seems unlikely as that would imply significant unibody change between M and non-M coupes.

I may have to find worn-out but straight versions of both control arms and measure them.

Thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks for the info Chibo. My "valid reason" might come into question by some folks. Happy someone see's things my way! :loco:

I figured the wider track would be the difference (if there is one). Would be nice to get real measurements for confirmation. I'm going to guess the M-control arms are probably 12-13 mm longer in this dimension each side increasing track by say, 25 mm. I wonder if the upper strut locations are similarly wider?? To avoid a big negative camber increase? Seems unlikely as that would imply significant unibody change between M and non-M coupes.

I may have to find worn-out but straight versions of both control arms and measure them.

Thanks
http://e46.mit.edu/Engine35.htm
You might want to email him, he might have numbers. Also, if you read through his build he puts a full M3 setup front/rear on his car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, but i'd like to stiffen up the rear in my 330ci and am wondering if e46 m3 rear shocks would be the solution for that, if they are compatible. If anyone has better options in terms of shock brands, please let me know!

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,527 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, but i'd like to stiffen up the rear in my 330ci and am wondering if e46 m3 rear shocks would be the solution for that, if they are compatible. If anyone has better options in terms of shock brands, please let me know!
you want firmer shocks or firmer springs? both can be done better than using the M3 parts. Koni Sport adjustable rear shocks come to mind. Or the Bilstein Sport/HD lines.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Like Alex said, all of his suggestions will work. Your best solution would be a rob 9way rear shock, better price and instant adjustable.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have an E46 M3 suspension on my 330 right now, works fine. the rear swaybar won't fit, but the springs, shocks, and struts will work just fine.

If you're buying used, make sure you get the strut tops, the M3 versions are different.
Holy thread resurrection ...

A friend gifted me brand new M3 rear shocks - mine on my 330 are shot.

I've bought new Bimmertune shock tops and reinforcement plates but what other parts do I need to fit them.

Can anyone advise please?

My car is VF supercharged so makes about the same power/torque as an M3.
I'm debating what to do about the tired (85,000 mile) front struts - new OE, M3, Bilstein. Favouring new OE. My car looks bone stock; no lower, no louder, no tints!

·
Registered
1 Posts

I was told m3 subframe and diff are different. Is that why fatter rear sway bar dont fit. Is the m3 rear diff ratio better? I think its lsd as well no?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts