E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to flick back over old posts on this and haven't seen any, so apologies if covered already.

Got a roughly 5-year old car in (think it's called) orient blue (darkish blue). I'm just worried that after de-badging a car of this age, the paint everywhere else will have a faded a bit and the model no will still show in non-sun-exposed paint! Is this likely or nothing to worry about?

Also...on another note is 3M tape pretty much the business for holding thing's on to the car? As in, things stuck on with it need some kind of wire (like used for debadging) to take off and can't just be pulled off, right?

Two stupid questions...thanks in advance!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'd like an answer to this too. I've been debating whether or not to do this, but mine's a '99 so I don't know if the paint underneath will be discolored...

·
Registered
104 Posts
There are no stupid questions - stupid is not asking!

Anyway, we debadged all of our E46's - 2000 323ci, 2000 323i, and 2002 325ci (two black and one Helrot red). It is no problem but you have to be patient. We used dental floss to slowly pull the badges away from the paint. If you use other things such as plastic scrapers, wire, etc., you risk scratching the paint.

If there is slight discoloration you can try Mcguires polishing compound to try to blend in the area, together with a good quality wax. We found that in a few months the paint eventually blended in and now you can't see where the emblem was.

The hardest part is getting the double-sided adhesive tape off. Again, be patient and remove it with your fingers (the safest way). It should come off OK.

As far as I know most of the badges (rear trunklid model # letters, etc.) are simply taped on (no pins). You can always check online, with the dealer, etc. to look at replacement lettering to see if there are any pins/fasteners holding the emblems/badges on (a good rule of thumb for any vehicle debadging). You can sometime see or feel in back of the badges to see if there are any pin fasteners, clips, etc. (this is general info not necessarily just for BMW's...).

Normally the polishing compound will remove any minor tape residue. If not, you can try tar and bug remover or a similar product designed to remove adhesive but not harm paint finishes.

AGain, remember to be patient and you should be able to safely remove the letter,number badges, etc., without breaking them and without hurting the finish underneath and on any surrounding areas. good luck!

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
Yes, there will be a very slight discoloration. however, after a few wash/wax you cant tell the difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that info. Yet another sign that I should wash the car more often and not rely on rain...

·
Registered
326 Posts
yeah i just debadged my car... u can see the colour is slightly different where the badge use to be.. plus theres still some little micro bits of adhesive still stuck on.. got to get me some bug and tar remover! but from far you cant tell the difference

1 - 6 of 6 Posts