BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Anyone read an owners manual? 5W30 is the requirement.
Yea, and your owner's manual is 20 years old.
You think BMW would suggest 5/30 if the E46 was built in 2020?
No, they would not.

Reactions: jaga

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've run both Castrol Edge and Mobil 1 0w40 for years in my M52TU E39, and now running it in my dad's M54 E83. I've tried Castrol 5w40, and I had a little more valvetrain noise. No issues with the 5w40 in my N52 E90.

I'm at 246k miles currently in my E39, and very little to no consumption. I have an oil pan leak, valve cover leak, and probably a rear main leak (yes, I'm going to fix all of them soon), but no problem with consumption. I run 5k mile OCIs.

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 740K km
589 Posts
Yea, and your owner's manual is 20 years old.
You think BMW would suggest 5/30 if the E46 was built in 2020?
No, they would not.
Nothing wrong happens if you use 5W30 on 2020 bmw. They reduce hot viscocity to 20-30 because of turbo engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Manual states anything between 0-15w/30-40 is ok as long as it meets following requirements ACEA A3/B3 & API SL or higher.

Just be careful some 30 weight are closer to 20 which can't be used and they don't meet the requirement anyway.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,382 Posts
Anyone read an owners manual? 5W30 is the requirement.
I dont think 5w-30 weight is stated as a "requirement", but it is recommended as energy conserving.

The Bentley service manual actually shows "synthetic 5w-30/40, API/SH or higher" on page 020-8.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I would have thought the opposite for turbo.
PS, I use 5-40 to cut consumption.
Is the logic is '' thicker oil- less lose trough gaps''? True is there is no direct relativity. In fact, you could get lower consumption with thinner oil, as well as different results depending on which oil of same viscosity you use. But now we are talking about engines which are far from their nominal condition, as oil consumption on healthy engine (e46 engines; we do not take modern ones now) should be ''0'' no matter what oil we use.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm with you on 0W-40! i'm in warm climate with 206k miles now.
Manual states anything between 0-15w/30-40 is ok as long as it meets following requirements ACEA A3/B3 & API SL or higher.

Just be careful some 30 weight are closer to 20 which can't be used and they don't meet the requirement anyway.
i use Refline 0W40 in my Dinan modded car. It loves it

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
274 Posts
...as oil consumption on healthy engine (e46 engines; we do not take modern ones now) should be ''0'' no matter what oil we use.
You might think that. I might think that. But, as we know, BMW says an M54 that consumes 1 litre per 1,000km is within specification.

(Though a cynic might say that's to get out of any warranty claims on used sales.)

·
Registered
589 Posts
You might think that. I might think that. But, as we know, BMW says an M54 that consumes 1 litre per 1,000km is within specification.

(Though a cynic might say that's to get out of any warranty claims on used sales.)
It is not what I think. It is simple fact. And let me repeat: healthy engine shouldn't burn any oil. Period. And that ''1l to 1000 km'' is within specification - I do not know where you found that info regarding M54, but I believe you could see it through some BMW documents, and it doesn't surprise me - as I saw with my own eyes ''800 ml per 1000 km'' for Mercedes (cannot find it now to specify for what engine). And now let me start a theme I tried to stay away from - as it is difficult to stay calm once we step on this path.
Well, ''1L to 1ooo km''. Just think of it (trying not to use some F words, although they are sort of required here) - 25L of oil can go through your catalyzers within single recommended service interval, and company claims it is ''within specification''!
As we know that such problem doesn't happen with new engine - and many of us could witness it with their cars - and as so, then let's assume that there are certain processes happening in engine while its usage, which lead to increasing (from none) oil consumption. And the reason is - wrong engineering of piston oil rings. We know it. BMW knows it. What we do - trying different oil, modify to pilot mode, using engine flush, etc. What BMW does - declares that ''1L to 1000 km'', isn't it brilliant! (To their defence I have to say it isn't entirely BMW; VAG, Mercedes, they all did the same). Reason - stricter ecological standards make zee germans to engineer '' hot engines'', where engine working temp increased from 80-90 C for old motors, to 100 and higher for newer ones. Add to that some constructive mistakes like certain shape of pistons, size of oil rings and their tension, and do not forget another pro-eco standard - long life oil - and we getting oil consumption which cannot be fixed by manufacturer on that scale - so let's then agree to call it normal now - and voila - we can sleep good now, and nothing to worry, your 1L is normal.

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
274 Posts
I think you misunderstand my post. The fact is the M54 typically uses oil, and that BMW say that's normal. So we look to ways to lessen the consumption. What we think should count as healthy is moot, it's not going to stop the consumption.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have always found the oil debate rather amusing since it is very subjective. I have yet to see any measurable, objective data that compares oil performance on any given engine. I use the oil specified by BMW for my 2006 M3, Castrol Edge Professional 10W-60 and change it every 7,500 miles. I sleep well at night knowing the smart engineers in Germany have specified the correct oil.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I think you misunderstand my post. The fact is the M54 typically uses oil, and that BMW say that's normal. So we look to ways to lessen the consumption. What we think should count as healthy is moot, it's not going to stop the consumption.
I did clearly understood your post, did you understand mine?:cool:
The fact that BMW says that way doesn't mean it is normal.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
2,031 Posts
That oil WAS the specification. Now however it's the newer oil made by Shell for them. You're fine.

I read (and try to stay away from, yet here I am typing...) oil threads that are subjective of what's best.

What I find incredulous is that for any company that has "Motor" as the middle name that built and continues to build high dollar cars that sip oil. They all do sooner or later.
Yet take any Japanese mainstream engine and if it's a quart low, it's time for an oil change.

I still like the marque mostly for the way they drive and feel. I also earn my living on fixing them.
However if my opinion of the marque was based upon quality of the engines alone/price point, I'd walk away.

Rant....OFF.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have always found the oil debate rather amusing since it is very subjective. I have yet to see any measurable, objective data that compares oil performance on any given engine. I use the oil specified by BMW for my 2006 M3, Castrol Edge Professional 10W-60 and change it every 7,500 miles. I sleep well at night knowing the smart engineers in Germany have specified the correct oil.
I absolutely agree, those religious-like fights about what oil is better has not much of a base rather subjective thoughts.
Any oil lubricates, even very old and dirty one. No oil will bring significant increase in power, fuel consumption etc ( although it technically measurable, yet it is obviously in a level we cannot feel - like LL01FE standard meant to increased fuel efficiency - and those 2% would never be noticed in real driving). What really matters much more is how often you change oil.
In case of your M3 10w60 IS the right oil, although nothing wrong will happen if you pour 15w50 magnatec, for instance, or mobil 5w40.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
2,031 Posts
The 10-60 and it's additive package was developed for the very ridiculously close bearing clearances and the newer harder bearing materials chosen.
When we replace the bearings of any of those super-critical engines we almost usually opt for a aftermarket bearing with normal clearances and bearing construction.

Until such time I would not risk any modern "S" engine on anything other than the Castrol, Shell or Liqui-Moly 10-60.

What has happened is a oil specification designed to deal with the stupid design of bearing to crankshaft materials & clearances.

More reading here:

Boy has this thread morphed or what?

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you don’t want to have an engine burn oil because of low friction rings (Which become sticky and non sealing because of oil gunk) (M54) use Redline HPMO. The cleanliness from an engine running RL absolutely appears new after tens of thousands of miles. Ask me how I know. I use a cocktail in my e92 M3 of 5W50 and 10W60 to get the optimal viscosity plus I get the superior characteristics of Redline Oil. I even use Redline Oil in my Z3. All the BMW’s get RL because I want them to last a long time. And no worries when I’m on the loud pedal.

·
Registered
2002 e46 320 sedan / sport package 2 / m54b22 / steptronic
122 Posts
manual clearly says to use 0-30/40/50 , 5/30/40/50 depended on climate and riving style.
I use 5-40 coz live in warm climate and 40 is all around nice. 5-30 for slow guys, 5-50 for faster ones, 10-60 with factory pump is too much and 0wX same, but colder places.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My criteria for oil is a weight appropriate for the climate I live in and one that won't clog/coke piston rings. BMW's aren't the only make with this problem. To that end I have started using oil that meets Honda/Ford/MB etc specs for turbocharged engines. The thought is this will reduce piston ring carbon and reduce oil consumption compared to the older LL01 oils - in the long term. For the climate I live in 5w30 works fine. Castrol Edge Extended performance (20,000 mile claimed) 5w30 is what I'm currently using.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts